Search

Closure of Dagenham jobcentre criticised

PUBLISHED: 10:54 17 July 2017 | UPDATED: 10:54 17 July 2017

The Dagenham jobcentre in Chequers Lane is to close

The Dagenham jobcentre in Chequers Lane is to close

Archant

The decision to close Dagenham jobcentre has been branded a “disgrace” by the deputy council leader.

Councillor Dominic Twomey spoke out about the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP)’s announcement to shut the Chequers Lane centre and relocate staff and claimants to Barking, along with some from East Ham.

It is part of a nationwide scheme aimed at making efficiencies by merging smaller offices with larger ones and cutting down on underused space.

Cllr Twomey said: “This is a disgrace and once again, it is a decision that will see the most disadvantaged suffer.

“We wrote to the DWP in February, specifically asking them to work with us to explore opportunities to co-locate the job centre with council staff in order to maintain a presence in Dagenham, and we have had no response.

“Our borough has a high rate of worklessness and this decision will further alienate the very people we are committed to helping.”

Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas has also criticised the decision.

“I am shocked to the core that they plan to close the Chequers Lane job centre,” he said.

“If you have one of the highest unemployment rates in London, it is a statement of the bleeding obvious that you must have a job centre in Dagenham.

“The latest figures show 1,690 men and women in Barking and Dagenham are currently on benefits and seeking work. Many more need proper access to a job centre.

“On one hand this government want the jobless to look for vacancies every day; yet, on the other, they want people to travel over four miles further afield to Barking.

“How on earth do they expect men and women, already struggling to make ends meet, to pick up the extra travel costs? I will be taking this matter up as a matter of urgency with ministers.”

A DWP spokesman said that Barking and Dagenham Council had been contacted in January to outline proposals, and again in July to confirm final arrangements, and that it had no record of a letter as mentioned by Cllr Twomey.

He added: “Jobcentre Plus will continue to deliver a high level of service for local residents.”

Related articles

Latest Barking and Dagenham Stories

Yesterday, 18:14

Dean Elgar and Jason Roy put on an exhibition of power hitting to take Surrey to a six-wicket victory against Essex with five overs left unused at Chelmsford.

Yesterday, 13:00

A Barking primary school is celebrating a year of unprecedented sporting success after its teams picked up a host of awards and trophies over the school year.

Yesterday, 09:00

The MP for Dagenham and Rainham, Jon Cruddas, has renewed his appeals to protect the car manufacturing industry.

Yesterday, 08:44

Essex head coach Anthony McGrath is looking for a repeat performance when the Eagles take on Surrey in the next Royal London One-Day Cup contest at The Cloudfm County Ground on Sunday (11am).

Yesterday, 08:00

Letters, contributions and comments sent in from Post readers this week.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

A school in Dagenham is receiving funding from the mayor to help make it more environmentally friendly.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this bank holiday weekend? Watch our three-minute Met Office video forecast.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Essex batsman Varun Chopra was delighted to do his bit for the team in their Royal London One-Day Cup win over Somerset at Chelmsford on Friday night.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The festive season is a hectic time for many, with frenzied dashes to the shops for groceries and gifts, and parties to arrange and attend.

Newsletter Sign Up

Barking and Dagenham Post twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now