Former Dagenham and Redbridge footballer ‘gambled £16,000 at casino using stolen card’, court hears

PUBLISHED: 14:45 19 February 2018 | UPDATED: 14:48 19 February 2018

Blair Turgott, pictured during a spell at Leyton Orient, was on trial at Southwark Crown Court Picture: Simon O'Connor

Blair Turgott, pictured during a spell at Leyton Orient, was on trial at Southwark Crown Court Picture: Simon O'Connor

Simon O'Connor Photography

A former Dagenham and Redbridge footballer gambled £16,000 at a Mayfair casino using a stolen card, a court has heard.

Winger Blair Turgott, 23, is accused of withdrawing the cash before exchanging it for chips during a night at the Playboy casino in Park Lane.

At the end of the night, Turgott - who made five appearances for the Daggers during a two month loan spell from West Ham in 2014 - cashed out £16,900, leaving with a £900 profit, Southwark Crown Court heard.

Prosecutor Kaj Scarsbrook said the card used by Turgott, from Bromley, had earlier been stolen from Peter Dixon by a fraudster posing as a bank employee.

He told jurors: “Somehow the card and its details ended up in Mr Turgott’s possession. The prosecution say that in itself is suspect, as is using someone else’s card to fund your gambling.”

Turgott denies fraud and converting criminal property on the night of September 30, 2016.

The court heard the victim was called by a fraudster earlier that day posing as a bank employee, who said he needed to collect Mr Dixon’s debit card so a new one could be issued.

Shortly after, a man in his 20s knocked on his door and Mr Dixon handed over his card.

But Mr Dixon went to his branch the following Monday after his wife became suspicious.

“Their bank told them, perhaps unsurprisingly, this man had absolutely nothing to do with them and had, effectively, stolen the card,” the prosecutor said.

Jurors heard around £17,000 had been taken from Mr Dixon’s current account, with CCTV showing Turgott made two £8,000 withdrawals at the Playboy casino.

“He exchanges that money for casino plaques and spent the evening gambling,” said Mr Scarsbrook.

“At the end of the evening, he cashed out £16,900 cash, having made a profit of £900 that evening gambling.”

The prosecutor said at least one other person was involved in the alleged fraud, telling jurors they must decide if Turgott was “being dishonest”.

The trial continues.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest Barking and Dagenham News Stories

Yesterday, 18:03

Councillor John White, who represented Whalebone ward for 12 years, has passed away.

Yesterday, 17:16

Cutting the maximum stake on betting machines to £30 or less “will do nothing” to combat problem gambling, the MP for Barking has said.

Yesterday, 17:05

Barking is set for three weeks of road closures due to electric utility works.

Yesterday, 17:03

Aerial footage has captured the early stages of demolition of tower block St Mary’s in Barking as the second stage of the construction of Greatfields School gets underway.

Yesterday, 15:47

A fundraising page has been set up for the funeral of a teenager stabbed to death in Chadwell Heath last week.

Yesterday, 15:14

A man from Chadwell Heath who used social media to send his ex-partner threatening messages has been jailed.

Yesterday, 12:55

People caught begging in Barking town centre can now be handed a £100 on-the-spot fine thanks to new powers passed by the council.

Yesterday, 11:30

The families of serial killer Stephen Port’s victims have been told a report into the Metropolitan Police’s initial response to the four deaths “will be damning”, according to solicitors.


The festive season is a hectic time for many, with frenzied dashes to the shops for groceries and gifts, and parties to arrange and attend.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now