Jury discharged in trial of ex-Dagenham and Redbridge footballer accused of gambling using stolen card

PUBLISHED: 16:33 21 February 2018 | UPDATED: 16:33 21 February 2018

Blair Turgott, pictured during a spell at Leyton Orient, was on trial at Southwark Crown Court Picture: Simon O'Connor

Blair Turgott, pictured during a spell at Leyton Orient, was on trial at Southwark Crown Court Picture: Simon O'Connor

Simon O'Connor Photography

The jury trying a former Dagenham and Redbridge footballer accused of gambling £16,000 using a pensioner’s stolen credit card has been discharged after failing to reach verdicts.

Winger Blair Turgott, 23, is alleged to have carried out the scam at the Playboy casino in central London’s Park Lane on September 30 2016.

The card used by the former England under-19s player had earlier been stolen from Peter Dixon, 85, by a fraudster posing as a bank employee, a court heard.

Turgott, from Bromley, claimed he was given the card and PIN number by a trusted friend, who owed him £16,000.

The jury deliberated for five hours following a trial at Southwark Crown Court but was discharged by the judge, Recorder Louis Weston, after failing to reach verdicts on charges of fraud and money laundering.

The judge gave prosecutors a week to decide whether to pursue a retrial of Turgott, who denies the charges.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest Barking and Dagenham News Stories

Yesterday, 18:03

Councillor John White, who represented Whalebone ward for 12 years, has passed away.

Yesterday, 17:16

Cutting the maximum stake on betting machines to £30 or less “will do nothing” to combat problem gambling, the MP for Barking has said.

Yesterday, 17:05

Barking is set for three weeks of road closures due to electric utility works.

Yesterday, 17:03

Aerial footage has captured the early stages of demolition of tower block St Mary’s in Barking as the second stage of the construction of Greatfields School gets underway.

Yesterday, 15:47

A fundraising page has been set up for the funeral of a teenager stabbed to death in Chadwell Heath last week.

Yesterday, 15:14

A man from Chadwell Heath who used social media to send his ex-partner threatening messages has been jailed.

Yesterday, 12:55

People caught begging in Barking town centre can now be handed a £100 on-the-spot fine thanks to new powers passed by the council.

Yesterday, 11:30

The families of serial killer Stephen Port’s victims have been told a report into the Metropolitan Police’s initial response to the four deaths “will be damning”, according to solicitors.


The festive season is a hectic time for many, with frenzied dashes to the shops for groceries and gifts, and parties to arrange and attend.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now