Local Weather

Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 8°C

Five-day forecast

A thug who attacked two men at a rally against a Muslim place of worship has been banned from going near London mosques for five years.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

John McAndrew, 29, was jailed for 14 months after throwing large stones onto a busy road and then the following month assaulting two men at an English Defence League demo against a mosque and cultural centre in Green Lane, Dagenham.

Last week, McAndrew was given an Asbo stopping him from going near Muslim schools and places of worship until 2017 and taking part in any EDL demos in England for life.

In a statement released by the Met Police last week, Barking and Dagenham Pc Mark Gellard said: “John McAndrew is an individual whose often violent behaviour is linked with his attendance at demonstrations and protests, particularly surrounding the English Defence League.

“This behaviour affects those who live, work and frequent the areas where some of these demonstrations have taken place.”

McAndrew, of Grange Road, Plaistow, was given a conviction related Asbo at Woolwich Crown Court on February 20.

The Asbo will stop him from attending Islamic festivals for five years and from publicising and attending any rally run by, or in conjunction with, the EDL in England and Wales for the rest of his life.

McAndrew was jailed at Woolwich Crown Court on December 7. He was given four months after admitting common assault against the two men at an EDL rally in Dagenham on June 18, 2011.

He received another four months for affray after admitting throwing large stones onto the A4 dual carriageway during rush hour traffic at another EDL protest at the Hammersmith Flyover on May 11, 2011, police added.

McAndrew was given six months for breaching a suspended sentence for affray at a Poundmart store in Woolwich on September 10, 2009.

He was also sentenced to four weeks, to run concurrently, for two counts of failing to surrender to police.

Share this article

0 comments

Crime & Court

The 'stolen' data include credit and debit card details (pic: PA Wire)

‘50,000 in Barking and Dagenham have had personal details stolen’

Just shy of 50,000 people in Barking and Dagenham have had their personal details stolen and put up for sale on the “dark web” by criminals, according to an intelligence firm.

Read full story »

Business

The 'stolen' data include credit and debit card details (pic: PA Wire)

‘50,000 in Barking and Dagenham have had personal details stolen’

Just shy of 50,000 people in Barking and Dagenham have had their personal details stolen and put up for sale on the “dark web” by criminals, according to an intelligence firm.

Read full story »

Heritage

Job Drain's Victoria Cross will be commemorated with a new stone

First World War: Barking’s Victoria Cross hero Job Drain commemorated in new book

One hundred years ago, a global war began that saw more than 16million people killed and a further 20m wounded. In this week’s feature to mark the centenary of the First World War, Sophie Morton finds out how the story of Barking’s own war hero is being told to a new audience.

Read full story »

   Local advertisers

Other Crime & Court Articles

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Barking & Dagenham Post on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Barking businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Barking & Dagenham Post, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »