Dagenham mum died after inhaling aerosol gas, inquest hears
PUBLISHED: 12:09 28 August 2014 | UPDATED: 08:42 29 August 2014
A “bubbly” young mother died seconds after inhaling aerosol gas at her home in Dagenham, an inquest heard.
But the coroner could not reach a conclusion as to whether Terrie Acott’s death had been deliberate.
Terrie Acott was found clutching a canister by her stepdad after she failed to turn up at work. Another aerosol was by the window of the home in Woodshire Road and police found what they believe to be containers of laughing gas by a chest of drawers.
Coroner Nadia Persaud said: “She appeared to be well and there were no known stresses in her life at the time. She had not raised any concerns to her daughter and not appeared to be in a low mood.
“She spoke to her stepdad the day before and was planning to go to a gig that evening, and there was nothing to cause him concern.”
Evidence was lost due to a fault with a police camera, Walthamstow Coroner’s Court heard yesterday, and detectives now cannot be certain precisely what was in the aerosols.
A post mortem showed she had inhaled gas that would have blocked oxygen from her system after just a few breaths.
Although Terrie, 31, had taken solvents in the past, she was thought to have stopped since the birth of her daughter in 2002 and her family were unaware she had been taking them prior to her death on April 26.
She had been on and off antidepressants since 2006, the court heard.
Terrie, who was one-and-a-half times over the legal drink-drive limit and had cocaine in her system, had what are believed to have been recent cuts to her thighs.
Family members, speaking at the inquest, described Terrie as a “bubbly” and “happy-go-lucky” mum who prioritised her family.
Ms Persaud recorded an open conclusion after deciding it was impossible to be certain whether Terrie’s actions were deliberate.
“Terrie might have been troubled by something at the time of her death but I cannot be satisfied as to her mental state,” she added.