Search

Dagenham mum and her baby saved by carbon monoxide alarms

09:56 28 January 2013

Lucky escape: Claire Moloney holds her twins Ava, left, and Jake, who suffered carbon poisoning because of a faulty boiler

Lucky escape: Claire Moloney holds her twins Ava, left, and Jake, who suffered carbon poisoning because of a faulty boiler

Archant

A mum told how she feared for the health of her baby after a carbon monoxide leak in her home left them both suffering the effects of poisoning.

Claire Moloney, 40, was with her one-year-old son Jake in a room that contained a faulty boiler when she was struck down by an inexplicable migraine.

Two carbon monoxide alarms went off in her house and tests later revealed a tenth of the baby’s lungs were filled with the deadly gas.

But Claire said the true amount may have been as much as 30 per cent, as carbon monoxide poisoning drops by half every five hours and Jake had been in the room for half a day.

Luckily, medics took the pair to hospital and staff gave them the all clear within half an hour.

Mrs Moloney, of Western Avenue, Dagenham, said: “Thank God, the emergency services were in time.

“I started to feel quite ill - it was like the flu or like a strong migraine.

“I was more worried about Jake. He had a reading of 10 but this may have been half of what he had. He may have had 30 per cent in his lungs. I was quite upset and a bit tearful.”

Claire was doing some house chores in an upstairs room containing the central heating boiler when she fell ill at around 7pm on January 16.

Claire’s husband Paul and her other baby Ava, Jake’s twin sister, were in another room as the first carbon monoxide alarm went off. They did not require hospital treatment.

Claire went to the shops as her husband Paul checked the alarm batteries but the second carbon monoxide detector was also triggered.

Firefighters were called and detected a leak from the boiler and Claire and her baby son were taken to Queen’s Hospital in Romford.

Claire stayed at her mum’s for a few days and is now back at home after workers took out the old boiler and installed a new one in the loft.

She added: “I would never have a boiler in a room again.

“We still don’t know what’s happened. We are very lucky.”

The London Fire Brigade praised the family for keeping two alarms in their home and warned households about the risks of carbon monoxide, often described as a “silent killer” that is linked to at least 50 deaths a year.

0 comments

Latest Barking and Dagenham News Stories

Yesterday, 17:00
Calls for stricter gun laws have been made to protect Barking and Dagenham cats after Billy, above, was shot with an airgun

An alarming rise in fatal air gun attacks on cats has left vets calling for a change in legislation to restrict the sale and use of the weapons.

Yesterday, 13:00
Roy Edwards and Frank Halverson receive gifts from the Ahmadiyya muslim community

Ahmadiyya Muslims from Barking brought gifts to the elderly in a bid to spread their message of “love for all, hatred for none”.

Saturday, May 28, 2016
The housing forum at Barking Town Hall heard how profit-hungry landlords are fuelling housing problems

The number of people seeking housing advice at John Smith House in Barking has more than trebled as rents increased by 25 per cent in the past two years.

Saturday, May 28, 2016
Rose Khan, right, with Masterchef: the Professionals winner, Mark Stinchcombe, at the final in Eckington Manor Picture: Nexus PR

Ripple Primary School chef Rose Khan talks to Sebastian Murphy-Bates about being a finalist in McCain’s One Pot Meal at Masterchef star Mark Stinchcombe’s restaurant

Saturday, May 28, 2016
Barking and Dagenham college teacher Adnan Mahommed has been nominated for national teacher of the year award.

Known for steering students with business plans and helping them raise money for charity by selling pants, Barking and Dagenham College’s Adnan Mahmood is not your average lecturer.

Friday, May 27, 2016
Barking and Dagenham's LGBT group

The LGBT community in Barking and Dagenham have been offered a safe haven to socialise and relax every Wednesday thanks to the efforts of the LGBT social club.

Friday, May 27, 2016
Best man Robert Naughton, Donald Naughton, Lucy Rayner and Bishop Trevor Mwamba. Photo: Claire Still/BHRUT

Due to a serious illness, a couple together for 20 years, brought forward their wedding and held it in a hospital’s intensive care unit on Wednesday.

Friday, May 27, 2016
Dagenham singer Jasmine Elcock will appear in the Britain's Got Talent final on ITV tomorrow at 7.30pm Picture: Dymond/Syco/Thames

Teenage singer Jasmine Elcock from Dagenham became a Britain’s Got Talent finalist last night, with judge Simon Cowell praising her “incredible delicate control”.

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Win a BMW 1 series

There are fewer cars currently on the market more stylish and exciting than the BMW. Known all over the world as one of the best car manufacturers, the BMW is renowned for sleek designs and fantastic high quality workmanship.

Kindle 7 inch tablet

Are you looking for a brand new gadget to help you stay connected on the go and make that long journey home a bit more entertaining? Look no further. MyOffers is giving you the chance to win 1 of 50 Kindle Fire 7” Display Tablets! That’s 50 times more chances to win, so hurry up and enter our competition today and you could be one of our lucky winners!

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today

Subscribe