Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 24°C

min temp: 15°C

Five-day forecast

DAGENHAM man Carl Samuel was killed on Saturday – suffering the same fate as a pedestrian he knocked down in an accident.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Mr Samuel, 22, of Tenterden Road, was serving five years at Hollesley Bay Prison in Suffolk for causing death by dangerous driving after hitting and killing a pedestrian.

It is still not clear why he was walking along the A14 near Kirton, but last night his older brother Jason, 29, said Carl had been with his girlfriend but had got out of the car.

Initial reports said he was in collision with a lorry but police are still investigating the circumstances of his death.

Warm tributes have been paid to Mr Samuel, who was on day release from Hollesley at the time of the accident, which happened at 5.40pm.

He was sentenced to five years in prison in September 2009 after being found guilty of offences connected with a road accident in August 2007.

Share this article

4 comments

  • I must say that without the details on this person's conviction, I would have to say it was poetic justice. Can't say that serving 5 years is enough and being on day release is just not right. I think his demise was forth-coming.

    Report this comment

    fsa0033

    Thursday, January 20, 2011

  • Carl was a nice young man who made a mistake and was paying for it, quite rightly. He was devastated after the accident. How dare you all make judgements like this when you know nothing about him or his family (who I have known for over 40 years)?

    Report this comment

    Sazzy

    Friday, January 21, 2011

  • how can you say that when you never knew him !!!!??? R.I.P carl you will never be forgotten

    Report this comment

    DONK

    Thursday, January 20, 2011

  • what goes around?

    Report this comment

    2011

    Thursday, January 20, 2011

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

   Local advertisers

Crime & Court

Theresa George appeals for people to come forward with information after her son was beaten up under the A13 in Dagenham nine years ago.

Mum’s plea for justice nine years after son left for dead by Dagenham road

Nine years after her son was savagely beaten and dumped by the side of a road, a mum-of-three is appealing for help to finally bring the perpetrators to justice.

Read full story »

Business

Members of Brighter Steppings who created Storybright, a new mobile app enabling users to read and post creative stories in 100-word chapters.

Barking mobile app launched to get more youngsters writing

A new social media app aimed at getting more young people into creative writing is about to launch in Barking.

Read full story »

Politics

Barking Town Hall

Barking and Dagenham youth offending service blasted by Havering councillor

A longstanding member of a neighbouring council claims Barking and Dagenham has serious questions to answer over the state of its youth offending services.

Read full story »

More news

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Barking & Dagenham Post on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Barking businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Barking & Dagenham Post, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »