Disabled man stranded in top floor flat in Barking after council fail to fix broken lift
PUBLISHED: 12:08 12 January 2018 | UPDATED: 10:05 16 January 2018
A partially disabled man has been stranded in his eighth-floor flat in Barking because the council are yet to fix a broken lift in his tower block.
Allan Moriarty, 49, has been relying on friends and neighbours to deliver food to his top floor flat in Hepworth Court, Hepworth Gardens, because a serious back problem means he is unable to go down the flights of stairs.
“They are not treating me with any dignity,” he said.
The council today circulated a letter informing residents the problem would not be fixed until Wednesday, meaning Allan will have been stuck in his flat for two weeks.
Allan, who has lived in the block for 22 years, has had two degenerative disks in his spine since 2005, which means the bone has partially broken down.
This causes Allan a great deal of pain when he walks, particularly down stairs. He has not been able to work since sustaining the injury.
“I am losing my independence,” he said. “I can’t get out the door.”
Last week Allan says he phoned the council to tell them the lift was making a lot of noise while it was being used, and the council’s response was to take it out of use, saying they would fix it.
However it has not yet been reopened despite residents’ complaints. Allan says the council told him they are waiting for a part to fix
“It’s disgusting,” said Allan. “It should not take them this long to fix it.”
There are other residents in the block, including elderly people, who are struggling as a result of the lift being closed.
The residents are having to rely on each other for supplies.
Allan is one of a number of council tenants in the block, but there are also leaseholding residents who pay a fee to the council for the upkeep of the building.
“I don’t want to be in this block any more. The council are not looking after it properly,” Allan added.
Allan also has concerns that him being on the top floor is a fire risk because in the event of fire he would struggle to get out.
The council have been contacted for a comment.
A council spokesman said: “We are working round the clock with our contractors and hope the get the lift back in good order in a day or two.
“Council officers have been in touch with residents of the block especially those who are vulnerable and are likely to need some help and support.
“We apologise for any inconvenience this would have caused our residents.”