Search

Discarded cigarette ‘sparks’ flat blaze in Barking

10:14 17 September 2012

Harold Hill fire crew was called out to the blaze

Harold Hill fire crew was called out to the blaze

sub

The fire brigade has issued a warning after a discarded cigarette is thought to have sparked a flat blaze today.

The fire was contained to the balcony of a ground-floor flat in Longbridge Road, Barking, where boxes were being stored.

No one was injured and the 1am blaze is under investigation.

Barking firefighter Stephen Benson said: “The most likely cause of the fire was the disposal of smoking material. There was a bit of smoke damage. It was mostly outdoors on the plastic door of the balcony. There is a lesson to be learnt there.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

13:35
Phillippa Banister with local councillors and pupils at Roding Primary School.

A community-led street redesign project transforming the Becontree estate has reached its end after two years of consulting, planning and building.

11:00
Ambulance

Elderly and sick Barking and Dagenham residents are being urged to prepare for NHS industrial action in which thousands of healthcare workers will strike over pay across London this Thursday.

09:50
Do you know this man?

CCTV images of a man wanted in connection with indecent exposure on a train have been released by British Transport Police.

Police outside the house in Broomfield Road, Chadwell Heath, where Ayesha Ali's body was found. Picture: Ellie Hoskins

A mum accused of murdering her eight year old daughter was told that her child was evil and her parents would die due to her bad behaviour, a court has heard.

Most read news

Emergency declared as blizzard is expected to dump up to 24 inches of snow.

With 100 days to go until the General Election we decided to give it a try.

Twitter is taking on WhatsApp and Instagram with new features to make the app more social.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Barking and Dagenham Post e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder