September 21 2014 Latest news:
John Phillips , Senior Reporter
Monday, September 17, 2012
The fire brigade has issued a warning after a discarded cigarette is thought to have sparked a flat blaze today.
The fire was contained to the balcony of a ground-floor flat in Longbridge Road, Barking, where boxes were being stored.
No one was injured and the 1am blaze is under investigation.
Barking firefighter Stephen Benson said: “The most likely cause of the fire was the disposal of smoking material. There was a bit of smoke damage. It was mostly outdoors on the plastic door of the balcony. There is a lesson to be learnt there.”
Trying to save a few quid proved disastrous for one man who was forced to cough up a hefty fine after dodging his train fare.
An architecture student from Dagenham could become a garden household name after winning an international competition to design the conservatory of the future.
Scotland’s decision to remain within the United Kingdom has seen calls for people to come together a little closer to home.
It’s that time of year again, when you’re allowed to heartily indulge your instinct to have a good nosey around and no one will think twice about it.