Barking and Dagenham Council wins interim travellers ban at the High Court

PUBLISHED: 07:00 30 March 2017 | UPDATED: 09:37 30 March 2017

Barking and Dagenham Council have been granted an interim injunction by the High Court banning 64 named gypsies and travellers from 140 sites across the borough along with

Barking and Dagenham Council have been granted an interim injunction by the High Court banning 64 named gypsies and travellers from 140 sites across the borough along with "persons unknown".


The first ever injunction banning gypsies and travellers from setting up camp on sites across the borough was granted by the High Court.

Mrs Justice Jefford ruled in Barking and Dagenham Council’s favour yesterday after an application was made to stop illegal camps being set up on 140 sites - including green spaces, school grounds and business parks.

Travellers refusing to leave the sites - which includes Barking park - will be found in contempt of court and could face a prison term as a result.

In the interim injunction the council names 64 people and “persons unknown” barring them from setting up camp.

Council leader Councillor Darren Rodwell said illegal encampments had cost the borough around half a million pounds in clean-up costs, because of the large-scale fly tipping, waste and human excrement left on sites.

Cllr Rodwell said: “Illegal encampments have burdened our borough for years.

“They damage our parks and open spaces and we know from speaking to residents and businesses they are a huge problem for our communities.

“We are the first borough to go to these lengths to stop this activity because we want an end to the disruption illegal encampments cause,” he said.

According to the council, police and council officers have had to deal with 80 illegal camps in the last three years.

In response to the result, Debby Kennett from the London Gypsy and Traveller Unit said: “This is extremely disappointing.

“We have had some positive dialogue with the council and hoped for more a proactive response to the needs of gypsies and travellers.”

She added that although the charity understood the disruption caused to businesses, the council’s solution would not address the needs of families with nowhere to live.

She added: “The inclusion of “persons unknown” is extremely concerning, as it effectively bans any traveller family from moving into the borough.

“The council is required under the public sector equality duty to have “due regard” to the needs of Irish travellers and Romani gypsies who are recognised ethnic minorities and therefore protected under the law.”

“We would very much welcome further dialogue with the council to explore less costly and more humane alternatives,” she said.

The interim order will remain in force until the High Court sets a date to decide on a permanent ban.

Related articles

1 comment

  • It's unfortunate that these sp ongers live like this. Now they will be moved on and others will be forced to bear the burden of their filth and crimes. The caravans should be seized and destroyed when injunctions are breached and the gypsies sent to prison.

    Report this comment

    Friday, March 31, 2017

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Latest Barking and Dagenham News Stories

Yesterday, 18:03

Councillor John White, who represented Whalebone ward for 12 years, has passed away.

Yesterday, 17:16

Cutting the maximum stake on betting machines to £30 or less “will do nothing” to combat problem gambling, the MP for Barking has said.

Yesterday, 17:05

Barking is set for three weeks of road closures due to electric utility works.

Yesterday, 17:03

Aerial footage has captured the early stages of demolition of tower block St Mary’s in Barking as the second stage of the construction of Greatfields School gets underway.

Yesterday, 15:47

A fundraising page has been set up for the funeral of a teenager stabbed to death in Chadwell Heath last week.

Yesterday, 15:14

A man from Chadwell Heath who used social media to send his ex-partner threatening messages has been jailed.

Yesterday, 12:55

People caught begging in Barking town centre can now be handed a £100 on-the-spot fine thanks to new powers passed by the council.

Yesterday, 11:30

The families of serial killer Stephen Port’s victims have been told a report into the Metropolitan Police’s initial response to the four deaths “will be damning”, according to solicitors.


The festive season is a hectic time for many, with frenzied dashes to the shops for groceries and gifts, and parties to arrange and attend.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now