Search

Contaminated blood: Son sues government over dad’s HIV death from blood products

PUBLISHED: 17:58 17 May 2017 | UPDATED: 17:58 17 May 2017

Jason Evans, 27, whose father Jonathan died in 1993 after being given HIV-infected blood products. Pictures: BBC Panorama

Jason Evans, 27, whose father Jonathan died in 1993 after being given HIV-infected blood products. Pictures: BBC Panorama

BBC Panorama

A campaigner is taking a landmark legal case against the government over the contaminated blood disaster - providing new hope that victims of the health scandal will finally receive justice.

Jason as a toddler with his dad. Pictures: BBC Panorama Jason as a toddler with his dad. Pictures: BBC Panorama

Jason Evans, whose father died after being given HIV, has uncovered a new document that shows the government had “conclusive evidence” Aids was in blood products from April 1984.

But the Department of Health memo also shows the government did not acknowledge this publicly until December 20, 1984.

Tragically Mr Evans’ father, who had haemophilia, was infected with HIV through treatment with Factor VIII blood products within that window of delay. He died of Aids aged 31.

Jason is suing the government for alleged negligence and breach of statutory duty.

He said: “I feel, and the other children of victims feel, that ultimately the deaths of our fathers are recorded as a lie.”

Former health minister Nicola Blackwood was recently asked for the memo and said it could not be located. But Mr Evans found it within the national archives.

The legal case is a significant new development in the campaign for justice for victims and its outcome could set a precedent for others affected by the disaster.

Jason, 27, believes that as the Aids crisis unfolded, patients should have been told about the potential risks of treatment.

Thousands of people with the blood clotting disorder haemophilia were given HIV and hepatitis C (hep C) through Factor VIII products used by the NHS in the 1980s and many others contracted hep C through blood transfusions. More than 2,000 have since died.

Tony Farrugia lost his father Barry Farrugia, of Whitebarn Lane, Dagenham, to Aids aged 37.

His dad first showed symptoms of HIV infection in July 1984 after Factor VIII treatment.

Tony has campaigned for answers and compensation for his family.

Of the new legal case, he said: “This is definitely a step in the right direction for everybody else affected if it is successful.”

More than 120 people have so far joined Mr Evans in the group action lawsuit.

Des Collins, of Collins Solicitors, the firm handling the case, said “This is a wrong which must now be put right. It is essential that lessons are learned from this tragedy so that such disastrous mistakes are not repeated in the future.”

The Department of Health made no comment when contacted by the Post, saying it was restricted by regulations in the run-up to the election.

A BBC Panorama programme last week highlighted calls for a new public inquiry over the blood disaster and featured a short clip of the Farrugia family.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Barking and Dagenham Post visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Barking and Dagenham Post staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Barking and Dagenham Post account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Barking and Dagenham News Stories

Yesterday, 17:01

England Roses netball team went back to school in Barking ahead of their international series against Malawi.

Yesterday, 16:21

A trial date has been fixed for three men from Barking and Newham charged with terrorism offences.

Yesterday, 13:49

It was two o’clock in the morning when Sue’s daughter made a simple, panicked call from her Dagenham home: “I need help.”

Yesterday, 13:16

Councillors and residents marked the start of 10 days of action against domestic abuse in a flag-raising ceremony at Barking Town Hall.

Yesterday, 09:25

Religious groups paid each other a visits at their respective places of worship as part of World Inter Faith Week.

Mon, 19:06

A “surrogate father” who raped and sexually abused a teenage boy has been jailed for 16 years.

Mon, 18:44

Residents have painted a mural in Barking Riverside’s community garden on a day of fun for the local community.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now