Search

Watershed moment as review announced into ‘stupid’ King George Hospital A&E closure plan

PUBLISHED: 15:32 29 November 2017 | UPDATED: 16:49 30 November 2017

Public demonstration outside Redbridge Town Hall urging councillors to oppose the NHS's current sustainability and transformation plan which would close King George Hospital's A&E department.

Public demonstration outside Redbridge Town Hall urging councillors to oppose the NHS's current sustainability and transformation plan which would close King George Hospital's A&E department.

Archant

Plans to close a Redbridge A&E, which would have seen Queen’s Hospital require millions of pounds of upgrades, have been halted after health bosses ordered an immediate review of the decision.

King George Hospital, in Goodmayes, is one of the two hospitals BHRUT are responsible for. King George Hospital, in Goodmayes, is one of the two hospitals BHRUT are responsible for.

Plans to turn King George Hospital’s A&E, in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, into an urgent care centre were pushed through in 2011, and in November last year the scheduled closure date was announced for 2019.

But last month, the East London Health and Care Partnership (ELHCP) revealed they had hired independent consultants PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PWC) to investigate key parts of the proposal, including activity shifts, capacity and the financial impact.

Today (Wednesday), the ELHCP published the report’s findings, and declared a complete overhaul of its strategy for emergency care provision.

Jane Milligan, ELHCP executive lead, said the PWC report had correctly identified that “much has changed” since the closure plan was first drawn up.

Ilford North Labour MP Wes Streeting makes a speech at a march to save King George Hospital's A&E, on 18th March 2017. Ilford North Labour MP Wes Streeting makes a speech at a march to save King George Hospital's A&E, on 18th March 2017.

She added: “Our east London population is growing and ageing, demand for NHS services continues to increase, and we face ever-increasing challenges as a healthcare system.

“We now need to consider more options for the way we deliver urgent and emergency care across our communities.

“This will allow us to look at how this care is provided locally, taking these challenges into account.

“It is important we consider how we deliver these services across both King George and Queen’s hospitals to enable us to deliver care in the best way for patients. Exploring more options will enable us to do this.”

Ms Milligan called on clinicians, patients and partners to come together to develop a new plan for emergency care across north east London.

She added that while this new plan was being consulted and drawn up, King George Hospital’s A&E would remain open.

Chief executive of the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospital Trust which runs both King George and Queen’s Hospitals, Matthew Hopkins, was also happy with the news.

He said: “I’m pleased we now have the opportunity to work with our clinicians, our wider staff groups, patients and partners to look at the best way of delivering urgent and emergency care to local people.”

Ilford South MP Mike Gapes said the report’s findings were “a step in the right direction”, and said the financial case put forward by the ELHCP had made the closure of King George’s A&E inviable.

He told the Recorder: “I’ve been fighting this stupid decision for 10 years and in my opinion this report is a face-saving exercise leading up to an inevitable climbdown.

“The bottom line is that the report identifies it would cost £125m to build additional wards at Newham and Queen’s Hospitals to cope with the people who would be displaced from King George.

“The local NHS does not have that sort of capital to invest.”

But the veteran MP warned residents to remain cautious.

He said: “What I want to see now is the small print for these proposals. If we still have our A&E what is it going to look like?

“We must ensure it will be able to meet the needs of residents.

“This is a step in the right direction, but we’re not there yet.”

Councillor Roger Ramsey, leader of Havering Council, has also repeatedly lobbied for the closure decision’s reversal.

He said: “I thoroughly support today’s announcement that the existing A&E at King George Hospital is to remain open whilst the service reviews the recommendations from a recent strategic review undertaken by PWC.

“I have continually lobbied against the original decision to replace the A&E department with an Urgent Care Centre (UCC). 
“Even just a few months ago, I wrote to Jeremy Hunt stressing that a new review of the now six-year-old plans to close King George’s A&E department was absolutely essential.

“This decision will support local residents across the borough who require emergency treatment.

“Since 2011, Havering has become one of the fastest growing and changing areas in London and Queen’s A&E alone simply can’t cope with the additional demand.

“This decision means residents will now have access to two A&E facilities during the review, and I will continue to lobby for the A&E at King George to remain open permanently.”

Related articles

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Barking and Dagenham Post visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Barking and Dagenham Post staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Barking and Dagenham Post account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Barking and Dagenham News Stories

Yesterday, 16:35

Hundreds of teenagers heard tales from the working world at a special careers fair.

Yesterday, 16:17

Council tax bills are set to rise and street cleaning could be cut back as the town hall tightens its belt to save £63million by 2021.

Yesterday, 14:38

A Dagenham car thief who caused a crash that left three people with life-changing injuries as he fled the scene of a burglary has been jailed for seven years.

Yesterday, 14:09

Pet owners in Dagenham are being taught how to make a dog’s dinner of their Christmas grub.

Yesterday, 12:00

A group of aspiring lawyers from Barking and Dagenham College took part in a mock murder case to develop their arguing skills.

Yesterday, 10:00

The number of secondary schools in Barking and Dagenham to be rated good or outstanding by Ofsted has decreased in the past year.

Yesterday, 08:48

A woman whose tumble dryer caught fire after exploding late at night had to leave her bungalow in the early hours of this morning.

Yesterday, 08:09

A campaign to tackle food waste and homelessness in the borough this winter has been launched.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The festive season is a hectic time for many, with frenzied dashes to the shops for groceries and gifts, and parties to arrange and attend.

You don’t have to make the trek to the North Pole to get into the Christmas spirit this year.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now