May 21 2013 Latest news:
Sara Odeen-Isbister , Senior Reporter
Monday, July 9, 2012
Motorists claim signs telling people not to drive in the bus lanes during the Olympics Games are confusing and not enough has been done to publicise the rule.
A number of people have contacted the Post to say they were unaware that from the July 1 until September 9 all bus lanes in the borough are in force 24 hours a day.
They feel new signs installed in June do not make the new rule obvious. Melvyn Imamzade, of Raydons Road, Dagenham, said: “The signs are confusing. There is no text to say that you can’t use the lanes and it says nothing about the fact that the rule has anything to do with the Olympics.
“I’ve also seen nothing publicising the changes. I bet a lot of people are going to drive in the lanes because they don’t know about the new rule and get fined.”
Residents also criticised the signs on web forum Streetlife.com.
Lesley S said her friend had told her about the changes and added: “If I had not been told about this I would still be in the bus lane and getting fined. When you know the stated times, you don’t look to check every day. The council will make a fortune from drivers now.”
A council spokesman said: “We first announced the change on May 22 and since then there have been several articles in local papers, the council website, Facebook page and Twitter.
“New signage was put up to indicate the bus lanes are now 24 hour. These are the legal road signs as specified in the Highway Code. The change has not been brought in to catch out motorists, but to make sure that emergency vehicles can continue to use major routes without obstruction during the busy Olympic period.”