Teenager escapes from Dagenham chip pan fire
17:47 23 September 2016
A teenager managed to escape from a chip pan fire this afternoon.
A pair of fire engines were called to a home in Wood Lane, Dagenham, at 2.30pm after the unattended fat-filled pan burst into flames.
Up to 10 firefighters from Ilford fire station spent half an hour battling the blaze which spread to the adjacent fridge.
A man in his late teens escaped unharmed, although firefighter Ally Warnock admitted his mum was less than impressed when she arrived home.
“Fortunately he was fine, although she wasn’t very happy,” he said.
“We used to be called to a lot of these sort of thing but people don’t tend to use big pans of fat as much nowadays.
“If you are cooking and something does happen, the most important thing is to get out, and then call us out.”
Did you see what happened? Email email@example.com or call 020 8478 4444.