Conference Premier outfit take Daggers to FA Cup replay

PUBLISHED: 17:01 08 November 2014 | UPDATED: 18:18 08 November 2014

Dagenham and Redbridge manager Wayne Burnett watched his side draw (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO).

Dagenham and Redbridge manager Wayne Burnett watched his side draw (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO).

Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football Leagu

FA Cup first round: Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Southport 0

Dagenham & Redbridge and Southport couldn’t be seperated at Victoria Road as the two teams cancelled each other out in a dull contest.

The Conference Premier side more than held their own against Daggers and tested home keeper Mark Cousins on several occasions.

The hosts improved as the more wore on but couldn’t create enough chances to punish the non-league team and now face a replay on Tuesday November 18th at Haig Avenue.

Manager Wayne Burnett made four changes to the team beaten by Shrewsbury Town last weekend with Scott Doe, Andre Boucaud and Joss Labadie dropping to the bench.

Ade Yusuff was unavailable after appearing in the competition with former club Chatham Town so Ashley Chambers was recalled to the starting side.

Meanwhile Matt Partridge slotted alongside Brian Saah in central defence and Luke Howell returned following an injury.

Captain Abu Ogogo was also selected after completing his suspension following his sending off against Newport County.

After a minute’s silence was impeccably observed at Victoria Road, Daggers got us underway and immediately attacked from the onset.

Ogogo got in space down the right and crossed into the box but Howell sliced his effort before the ball back into the area just evaded Jamie Cureton.

That wasn’t a sign of things to come, though, as the visitors physicality and height made them a dangerous proposition and the hosts looked nervous.

Mark Cousins was forced into action for the first time after 11 minutes as he tipped Richard Brodie’s header over the bar.

Two minutes later and a goalmouth scramble occurred in the Southport area after Ogogo’s shot but neither Howell or Partridge were able to get a shoot off.

Burnett’s side didn’t show enough intent during the opening exchanges of the match but midway through the first period they started to improve.

Cureton had a header deflected wide following Chambers cross before George Porter raced into the area but scuffed his centre.

Chambers, who looked lively throughout, had a good effort as he cut inside and tested Southport’s David Raya from 30-yards-out before Richard Brodie did have an outstanding attempt for the visitors, six minutes before the break, but his volley from outside the box went just wide.

A minute before the break and the hosts had their best chance of the first period when Partridge’s tackle turned into a perfect pass for Porter.

Daggers’ winger raced down the right in space but his cut back to Cureton was just behind the forward, and he therefore failed to make a clean enough contact to test Raya.

Although the Victoria Road outfit had ended the half stronger, they seemed to be lacking a second forward to support Cureton and Rhys Murphy was introduced at half time.

He immediately made a difference as just 33 seconds into the second period he linked up with Cureton but the veteran forward centre’s was just infront of Howell and he poked wide from six-yards out.

Daggers started the half better but 10 minutes in Cousins was forced into an excellent save to keep the scores level.

Paul Rutherford crossed in from the right and Brodie rose tallest and headed towards the bottom corner but Cousins parried away from goal.

Burnett was forced to take off Ogogo shortly afterwards as he appeared to pick up a knock in an early tackle, with Boucaud replacing the home captain.

The Trinidad & Tobago international had a good long range strike shortly after his introduction but it fly wide.

Daggers continued to push for the opening but despite various crosses and set pieces into the box they couldn’t serious test Southport keeper Raya.

Cureton was nearly released six minutes from time but Bingham’s pass was just too far ahead of the former and the Sandgrounders goalie Raya gathered well.

The hosts continued to press and Bingham again nearly turned the provider but Murphy couldn’t get enough on his shot to find the net for the opener.

Southport then nearly produced a sucker punch as Scott Kay ran onto a cut back but Bingham brilliantly blocked his effort.

Just as three minutes were added on the visitors again nearly took the lead but Cousins pushed Rutherford’s effort away from goal and although John Marsden got onto the rebound he was offside.

That was the last chance of note for either sides as referee Keith Hill blew the full time whistle and left Daggers contemplating a midweek replay.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins, Batt, Partridge, Saah, Green, Porter (Murphy 46), Howell (Hemmings 75), Bingham, Ogogo (Boucaud 61), Chambers, Cureton.

Unused substitutes: O’Brien, Doe, Doidge, Labadie.

Southport: Raya, Fitzpatrick, Kay, Collins, Foster, George, Hattersley, Brodie (Marsden 69), Connor, Rutherford, Austin.

Unused substitutes: Lloyd-Weston, Challoner, Lynch, Joyce, Smith, Mitchell.

Attendance: 1,172 (172 Southport supporters).


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Barking and Dagenham Post visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Barking and Dagenham Post staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Barking and Dagenham Post account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Barking and Dagenham Sports News

41 minutes ago

Barking Road Runners’ Colin Jones set an outstanding personal best of 35.5 miles at the ultra Hillingdon Circuit Challenge.


FA Youth Cup fourth round: Ipswich Town under-18s 2 (Lankester 15, 82) Dagenham & Redbridge under-18s 1 (Bonds 11)


Dagenham Boxing Club began a busy spell by hosting their biggest ever female training squad session at their gym recently.

Reece Burke grabs extra-time winner for Hammers to make fourth round

Yesterday, 16:00

Gale Street club beaten 88-0 at Heathfield in London Two South East on Saturday

Yesterday, 15:56

Dagenham’s Castle Green Leisure Centre has won December’s outstanding London sports venue award.

Yesterday, 12:00

May & Baker under-15s were edged out in close encounter against Upminster in their first game of 2018.

Yesterday, 10:00

Daggers off to Portman Road for fourth round tie


The festive season is a hectic time for many, with frenzied dashes to the shops for groceries and gifts, and parties to arrange and attend.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read sport

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now