Dagenham & Redbridge haunted by former boss

PUBLISHED: 15:53 01 November 2015 | UPDATED: 15:53 01 November 2015

James Dunne of Dagenham and Scott Cuthbert of Luton Town (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

James Dunne of Dagenham and Scott Cuthbert of Luton Town (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

Sky Bet League Two: Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Luton Town 2

Ashley Chambers of Dagenham and Nathan Doyle of Luton Town (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo) Ashley Chambers of Dagenham and Nathan Doyle of Luton Town (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Dagenham & Redbridge are still without a win at home this season after falling to defeat against ex-manager John Still’s Luton Town.

The east Londoners turned in one of the better displays of recent weeks in the first half but still went in behind.

Jamie Cureton of Dagenham and Jonathan Smith of Luton Town (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo) Jamie Cureton of Dagenham and Jonathan Smith of Luton Town (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

After some contentious decisions and poor finishing in the second half, the Hatters were able to add to their lead and increase the pressure on Wayne Burnett.

The hosts unsurprisingly made five changes from the demoralising 3-1 defeat at Accrington Stanley last week.

Jack Connors of Dagenham and Luke Guttridge of Luton Town (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo) Jack Connors of Dagenham and Luke Guttridge of Luton Town (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Josh Passley, Nyron Nosworthy, regular skipper Andre Boucaud and Kane Ferdinand all dropped to the bench for the east Londoners.

There was a first start of the season for Joss Labadie who lined up in midfield alongside recent loan signing James Dunne.

Dagenham looked to be controlling possession in the early exchanges but it was the visitors who had the first shot on target in the ninth minute.

The ball was laid off to Jack Marriott on the edge of the area and the midfielder’s effort stung the palms of Liam O’Brien who pushed it away from danger.

Luton went close against just over two minutes later when Luke Guttridge charged down Josh Pask’s clearance inside the area.

The ball fell for Marriott who could only spoon over from the penalty spot but the visitors were taking charge.

Having weathered the storm, Daggers began to regain a foothold in the match with some good play on the counter attack.

Ashley Hemmings, wearing the armband in Boucaud’s absence, broke forward and had Jamie Cureton and Jones ahead of him in the 20th minute.

Rather than pick out one of his team mates, Hemmings went for goal but his 30 yard effort was both high and wide.

Two minutes later and after some neat trickery, Jones fizzed the ball in for Cureton who headed the ball back across goal six yards out.

Sadly there was no team mate who was on the same wavelength trying to get on the end of it and Luton were able to clear.

O’Brien was again called upon to perform heroics in the 25th minute to prevent the Hatters from taking the lead.

Luke Guttridge played a free kick in from the left that was headed toward goal by Marriott and was set to go in only for O’Brien to get down low and push it behind.

The hosts were able to make the Luton goalkeeper work in the 30th minute when Ashley Chambers found Cureton on the edge of the box.

Cureton showed quick feet to create room for a shot that was collected by a back peddling Mark Tyler.

It was the visitors who took the lead in the 41st minute though through Guttridge who lifted the ball over an onrushing keeper.

Daggers, however, felt aggrieved that the goal was given with the bench believing Josh Pask was fouled in the build up.

Luton went close to doubling their lead eight minutes into the second half as Guttridge went in search of a second.

The midfielder shot from 20 yards but his effort was well saved by O’Brien who was grateful to see Marriott given offside as he went for the rebound.

Daggers thought they had been given a brilliant chance to draw level in the 56th minute when he blew after Labadie was tripped in the box.

But instead of awarding a penalty, referee Keith Hill chose to book the midfielder for a dive – a decision that left Wayne Burnett fuming.

Seven minutes later and they were presented with that glorious chance of an equaliser they were hoping for.

Hemmings broke past the final defender and was one-on-one with Tyler but his effort went wide of the post.

From the resulting goal kick, Luton went upfield and were able to double their advantage.

Pask was attempting to shield the ball back to O’Brien but the ball clattered off the pair and towards Guttridge.

The midfielder then passed to team mate Alex Lawless who coolly slotted home for the visitors.

It was a moment that seemed to kill off the match as a contest with the only action coming from behind the goal from a group of fans chanting “Burnett Out”.

With the result, Daggers remain at the foot of the Football League and need results to change fast if they are to move up the standings.

Daggers: O’Brien; Hoyte, Pask, Obileye, Connors; Dunne, Labadie; Jones (Mulraney 50), Chambers (McClure 76), Hemmings; Cureton

Unused subs: Cousins, Passley, Nosworthy, Boucaud, Ferdinand

Attendance: 2,473 (including 1,083 Luton fans)

Referee: Keith Hill


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Barking and Dagenham Post visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Barking and Dagenham Post staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Barking and Dagenham Post account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Barking and Dagenham Sports News


The latest news from the Toshi Kazoku Judokwai club


Barking will be looking to bounce back after a miserable start to 2018 in the Bostik North as they face Hornchurch.


May & Baker under-10s continued their fine form as they picked up a 30-15 victory against rivals Upminster.


Dagenham & Redbridge captain Scott Doe was left disappointed with his side’s 2-1 defeat to Sutton United.


Dagenham cruiserweight Robin Dupre has a scary new trainer who he says will bring out the best in him, writes Matthew Bozeat.

Yesterday, 16:00

Youngster part of 12-man roster for April’s event

Yesterday, 13:00

Barking manager Justin Gardner believes their disaster of a trip up to Sudbury cost them as they suffered a 3-1 defeat.

Hammers centre half James Collins says he has heard nothing from the club about a new contract


The festive season is a hectic time for many, with frenzied dashes to the shops for groceries and gifts, and parties to arrange and attend.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read sport

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now