Daggers exit Essex Senior Cup following shoot-out defeat to Beach Boys

PUBLISHED: 21:40 20 January 2015 | UPDATED: 16:57 21 January 2015

Jodi Jones has been in excellent form for Dagenham & Redbridge in the Essex Senior Cup (pic: Dave Simpson).

Jodi Jones has been in excellent form for Dagenham & Redbridge in the Essex Senior Cup (pic: Dave Simpson).

Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Essex Senior Cup quarter-finals: Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Concord Rangers 2 (2-4 on penalties)

Dagenham & Redbridge crashed out of the Essex Senior Cup following a thrilling game at Victoria Road with Concord Rangers, which was decided by penalties.

Abu Ogogo and Jodi Jones scored stunning goals for the home team, but the non-league outfit were the stronger side for the majority of the game.

In the end Josh Vickers was their hero saving from Ogogo and Joe Widdowson to earn them a place in the final four of the competition.

As expected Zavon Hines made his first start for Daggers, whilst Ogogo was also in from the start.

Ade Yusuff led the line with George Porter, Brian Saah and Widdowson the other senior players included alongside goalkeeper Liam O’Brien.

Jodi Jones was given another opportunity and fellow youth team scholars Charlie Yexley, Ayo Olokuga and Lewis Clark also featured.

Concord made the stronger start and Taylor Miles had the first effort of note from a free kick, but O’Brien comfortably saved his shot from 30-yards-out.

The visitors continued to look the more like and Tony Stokes might have done better after controlling Gary Ogilvie’s cross. But he could only scuff a shot straight at Daggers keeper.

Yusuff earned himself a chance from nothing when he robbed Matt Fry of the ball inside Beach Boys half.

He ran at the Concord defence before cutting inside, yet his curled effort rolled just past the post with 14 minutes played.

That appeared to boost Daggers as Olokuga and Ogogo had efforts for the hosts, but neither seriously troubled Concord keeper Vickers – on loan from Arsenal.

However, in the 21st minute the away side took the lead when a ricochet allowed Stokes to run through on goal. Despite Yexley closing him down, the Concord skipper worked some space.

And his cross was headed in from close range by Joe Gardner to give Danny Cowley’s team a deserved lead.

Four minutes later and they could have doubled their lead when Stokes played through to Miles. Widdowson was able to poke away from the Concord man though, and prevent an almost certain goal.

The Conference South side were impressing and their energy was excellent as they harried every Daggers pass.

They were well worth their lead and then from nowhere Ogogo levelled the scores with a stunning strike.

He made an outstanding run from deep and chested down Saah’s long range pass before volleying over Vickers to equalise 12 minutes before the break.

Daggers weren’t level for long though as Concord retook the lead when Stokes curled home a free-kick from 25-yards-out.

It was a good effort from the visitors’ skipper, but close to the centre of the goal and O’Brien definitely should have done better.

Three minutes before the break and it could have been 3-1 as Ogilvie outmuscled Yexley before cutting back for Miles. His effort was brilliantly tipped away by O’Brien though and Daggers only trailed by one at the break.

A quiet start to the second period followed before Jones brought everyone to their feet inside Victoria Road.

The youngsters picked up the ball outside his own area and dribbled past four or five players before racing into the area, composing himself and curling into the top corner.

It was an incredible goal from Jones and brought Daggers level with seven minutes played in the second half.

That sensational solo strike really added impetus to the home side and they immediately looked more confident on the ball.

Yusuff forced Vickers into a good save shortly afterwards before Stokes curled over when well placed for the visitors.

Concord slowly started to get back into the match though and made some substitutions as the game entered the final 20 minutes.

Daggers were dealt a blow with a quarter of an hour remaining as Hines pulled up after failing to receive a pass from Widdowson and he was substituted shortly afterwards following treatment on the far side.

The away side again took control of the match as the clock ticked towards 90 minutes and penalties.

Concord substitute Lewis Taaffe nearly produced a wonderful winner with a back flick a minute from time, but it went over the bar and penalties followed.

Micah Hyde spoke to the Daggers players in a huddle and the five penalty takers were selected.

Ogilvie took the first and found the net for Concord, but Yusuff replied for Daggers.

James White and Porter both converted penalties before Alex Woodyard made it 3-2 to the away side.

Widdowson was up next for Daggers, but Vickers guessed right and pushed his penalty away to give the Beach Boys the upper hand.

Stephen Cawley smashed in the next for Concord before Ogogo stepped up and Vickers was the hero as he saved the home skippers effort to seal Concord the shoot-out win.

Dagenham & Redbridge: O’Brien, Yexley, Widdowson, Olokuga, Saah, Clark, Jones, Ogogo, Yusuff, Hines (Foxley 78), Porter.

Unused substitutes: Moore, Shepard, Burnett, Nottage.

Concord Rangers: Vickers, Walker, Ogilvie, Woodyard, King, Fry, White, Gardner (Taaffe 70), Collins, Stokes (Lampe 87), Miles (Crawley 72).

Unused substitutes: Kabashai.

Attendance: 205.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Barking and Dagenham Post visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Barking and Dagenham Post staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Barking and Dagenham Post account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Barking and Dagenham Sports News


Gale Street club beaten 88-0 at Heathfield in London Two South East on Saturday


Dagenham’s Castle Green Leisure Centre has won December’s outstanding London sports venue award.


May & Baker under-15s were edged out in close encounter against Upminster in their first game of 2018.


Daggers off to Portman Road for fourth round tie


Barking Abbey London Lions gave a much-improved display in their 78-65 loss to WBBL rivals Leicester Riders.

Yesterday, 17:00

Everton boss reflects on 4-0 thrashing away to Tottenham Hotspur and concedes he should have been more boring

Yesterday, 16:00

Hendon manager Gary McCann praises Dagenham & Redbridge loan signings Joe White and Liam Gordon after a week at the club.

Yesterday, 14:00

Barking boss Justin Gardner was extremely disappointed with his side’s as they fell to a 2-0 defeat against Potters Bar Town.


The festive season is a hectic time for many, with frenzied dashes to the shops for groceries and gifts, and parties to arrange and attend.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read sport

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now