Search

Hines out for season in big blow to Daggers boss Burnett

PUBLISHED: 13:33 25 March 2014 | UPDATED: 13:33 25 March 2014

Dagenham & Redbridge winger Zavon Hines has been ruled out for the rest of the season (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO)

Dagenham & Redbridge winger Zavon Hines has been ruled out for the rest of the season (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO)

Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football Leagu

Dagenham & Redbridge boss Wayne Burnett admitted this week it had been a bitter blow to lose Zavon Hines for the rest of the season – but he would not commit as to whether the influential attacker would return for another campaign at Victoria Road.

The 25-year-old Hines has played a big part in getting Daggers to the fringe of the League Two play-offs this season having joined in the summer on a one-year deal.

Hines picked up a knee injury during a development team game against Cambridge United on March 4, but had made a return to training.

However, after suffering discomfort once again, he sought advice and it was discovered he would require surgery on the injury – on the other knee to the one he damaged during his time with West Ham United.

Burnett had been initially looking forward to welcoming the Jamaican-born player back in his squad, but must now go without the former Bradford City man for the remainder of the campaign.

“It is a big blow,” said Burnett. “We were looking forward to having him back, it would have almost been like a new signing at a crucial time.

“He was working hard in training and there was just what we thought was a little setback.

“He was a bit unstable on the injury and after having it scanned, we learnt the full extent.”

It could mean Daggers fans have seen the last of the winger in action for the club, with his contract expiring in the summer.

But boss Burnett’s sole thoughts were on wishing Hines the speediest of recoveries.

“I wouldn’t want to say too much on that,” he added. “Our thoughts are with him on his recovery. He has been a great player for us this season and it’s a shame to lose him.”

0 comments

Latest Barking and Dagenham Sports News

10 minutes ago

May & Baker under-10s continued their fine form as they picked up a 30-15 victory against rivals Upminster.

10:00

Dagenham & Redbridge captain Scott Doe was left disappointed with his side’s 2-1 defeat to Sutton United.

09:00

Dagenham cruiserweight Robin Dupre has a scary new trainer who he says will bring out the best in him, writes Matthew Bozeat.

Yesterday, 16:00

Youngster part of 12-man roster for April’s event

Yesterday, 13:00

Barking manager Justin Gardner believes their disaster of a trip up to Sudbury cost them as they suffered a 3-1 defeat.

Hammers centre half James Collins says he has heard nothing from the club about a new contract

Yesterday, 10:00

The latest news from the Thomas McCurtains GAA club

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Dagenham & Redbridge boss John Still was pleased with the fight his team showed but believes they left it too late in their defeat to Sutton United.

PROMOTED CONTENT

The festive season is a hectic time for many, with frenzied dashes to the shops for groceries and gifts, and parties to arrange and attend.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read sport

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Barking and Dagenham Post
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now