19th century water pump vanishes from Chadwell Heath
- Credit: Archant
Mystery abounds in the unexplained disappearance of a water pump that dates back to the mid 19th century.
The 6ft cast iron pump, which has listed status protecting it from being destroyed, was securely positioned in High Road, Chadwell Heath.
But a month ago the vast structure vanished and has yet to show up.
Alan Johnson, from the Chadwell Heath Historical Society, received a call on February 7 by a resident living nearby to the spot.
He said: “It was there over the weekend before because a couple of visiting friends were talking about it. It must have been taken between Monday and Thursday of that week.
You may also want to watch:
“It is a great loss to our community because it was one of those things put up to benefit people of the time. We lose these things and never get them back.”
Fellow historian Keith Langridge who has researched the pump said: “The water pump was used for drinking water for the horses taking farm produce into London. This was a time when wells were the main source of water.”
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking add forward Georgie Fairhead as assistant Adam Flemming departs
Police said nothing had been reported about the pump’s disappearance nor had there been any sightings of the 6ft pump.
The puzzle continues.
Have you got any information on the missing pump? Call the newsroom on 0208 477 3778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.