Barking great-grandmother celebrates 105th birthday
Great-grandmother Violet Jones celebrated her 105th birthday with a letter from the Queen today.
Violet, of Glenny Road, Barking, was born in 1907, the same year as the late novelist Daphne du Maurier and actor Laurence Olivier.
Her family put down her long life to daily portions of porridge with a touch of strengthening honey.
Violet said: “It’s all exiting. Everybody is lovely. I’m enjoying my birthday.”
Her elder daughter, Carol Marquis, 64, said: “She has porridge every day. She seems to enjoy it. It’s supposed to be good for you. “I put a bit of honey in it, it gives her a bit of strength.
You may also want to watch:
“People are amazed she’s 105. They think she looks about 90, people can’t believe it.”
- 1 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 2 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 3 Town hall seeks powers to prevent 'unsightly' loft extensions
- 4 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 5 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 6 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 7 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 8 Covid funding boost for charities promoting youth arts and inclusion
- 9 All borough's care home residents have had first Covid vaccination
- 10 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath