Barking great-grandmother celebrates 105th birthday
Great-grandmother Violet Jones celebrated her 105th birthday with a letter from the Queen today.
Violet, of Glenny Road, Barking, was born in 1907, the same year as the late novelist Daphne du Maurier and actor Laurence Olivier.
Her family put down her long life to daily portions of porridge with a touch of strengthening honey.
Violet said: “It’s all exiting. Everybody is lovely. I’m enjoying my birthday.”
Her elder daughter, Carol Marquis, 64, said: “She has porridge every day. She seems to enjoy it. It’s supposed to be good for you. “I put a bit of honey in it, it gives her a bit of strength.
You may also want to watch:
“People are amazed she’s 105. They think she looks about 90, people can’t believe it.”
- 1 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 2 Litter pickers mark opening of new community centre in Dagenham
- 3 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 4 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 5 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 6 Archery prodigy recognised by county for record-breaking efforts
- 7 Barking boss Gardner wants to use Cup to embed new system and hand out opportunities
- 8 Daggers have some of best strikers in league says manager McMahon
- 9 Letter writing, Ramadan, Cats Protection, Islamophobia and Covid
- 10 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking