Billy Bragg explores family history in Barking
- Credit: Archant
The Bard of Barking has explored his family roots in the area to mark the centenary of his grandparents getting married and moving here from Essex.
Billy Bragg, the 60-year-old musician and political activist, has been going through the archives in Valence House to trace his family history and learn more about the place of his birth.
He said: “I have always felt very connected to Barking and Dagenham. My family still live here and my nephew still lives in the house we grew up in.”
Billy argues that change is a constant in the life of the borough.
He said: “We have always been that place where people come to change their lives and the people coming here now looking for a better life, are they really any different from my grandfather who came from north-east Essex to come and work at Beckton Gas Works?
You may also want to watch:
“That is the story of our borough and it goes on and on.”
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 5 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 6 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 7 College student selected as national finalist with pearly king photo series
- 8 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
- 9 Arts centre in Barking selects artists for Black Art Matters project
- 10 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race