Billy Bragg explores family history in Barking
- Credit: Archant
The Bard of Barking has explored his family roots in the area to mark the centenary of his grandparents getting married and moving here from Essex.
Billy Bragg, the 60-year-old musician and political activist, has been going through the archives in Valence House to trace his family history and learn more about the place of his birth.
He said: “I have always felt very connected to Barking and Dagenham. My family still live here and my nephew still lives in the house we grew up in.”
Billy argues that change is a constant in the life of the borough.
He said: “We have always been that place where people come to change their lives and the people coming here now looking for a better life, are they really any different from my grandfather who came from north-east Essex to come and work at Beckton Gas Works?
“That is the story of our borough and it goes on and on.”
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 10 ‘For the love of animals’: Group which reunites lost pets with their owners fundraises for specialist equipment