Gascoigne estate museum opens in Barking
- Credit: Archant
An interactive museum about the history of the Gascoigne Estate will officially open with a VIP launch tonight.
Open Estate’s Living Museum moved in next to Gascoigne Fish Bar, in St Mary’s Parade, Barking, in August and is now open for locals to share and celebrate their experiences of living on the estate.
Funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and run by artists from Studio 3 Arts, the once-empty shop is now home to a range of artefacts, precious stories and archived treasures created and donated by residents.
The museum is designed to celebrate the estate’s 50-year history through the experiences of those that have lived it, and continue to do so.
Aimed at anyone with a connection to the area, the organisers hope to uncover the estate’s rich history during the period of change and regeneration, and share precious stories from generations of individuals and families to make sure they don’t disappear.
You may also want to watch:
The museum is open to the public every Tuesday and most Saturdays.
For more information call 020 8594 7136, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit facebook.com/OpenEstate.
- 1 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 2 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 3 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 4 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 5 Council reveals new debt collection service to cut need for enforcement
- 6 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 8 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 9 Barking MP receives 'disgusting' Holocaust email over Covid-19 vaccine passports
- 10 Pedestrian crossing improvements after campaign by Dagenham pupils