Gascoigne estate museum opens in Barking
- Credit: Archant
An interactive museum about the history of the Gascoigne Estate will officially open with a VIP launch tonight.
Open Estate’s Living Museum moved in next to Gascoigne Fish Bar, in St Mary’s Parade, Barking, in August and is now open for locals to share and celebrate their experiences of living on the estate.
Funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and run by artists from Studio 3 Arts, the once-empty shop is now home to a range of artefacts, precious stories and archived treasures created and donated by residents.
The museum is designed to celebrate the estate’s 50-year history through the experiences of those that have lived it, and continue to do so.
Aimed at anyone with a connection to the area, the organisers hope to uncover the estate’s rich history during the period of change and regeneration, and share precious stories from generations of individuals and families to make sure they don’t disappear.
You may also want to watch:
The museum is open to the public every Tuesday and most Saturdays.
For more information call 020 8594 7136, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit facebook.com/OpenEstate.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 6 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 7 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 8 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites