Gascoigne estate museum opens in Barking
- Credit: Archant
An interactive museum about the history of the Gascoigne Estate will officially open with a VIP launch tonight.
Open Estate’s Living Museum moved in next to Gascoigne Fish Bar, in St Mary’s Parade, Barking, in August and is now open for locals to share and celebrate their experiences of living on the estate.
Funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and run by artists from Studio 3 Arts, the once-empty shop is now home to a range of artefacts, precious stories and archived treasures created and donated by residents.
The museum is designed to celebrate the estate’s 50-year history through the experiences of those that have lived it, and continue to do so.
Aimed at anyone with a connection to the area, the organisers hope to uncover the estate’s rich history during the period of change and regeneration, and share precious stories from generations of individuals and families to make sure they don’t disappear.
You may also want to watch:
The museum is open to the public every Tuesday and most Saturdays.
For more information call 020 8594 7136, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit facebook.com/OpenEstate.
- 1 Tributes to 'much-loved' volunteer with a passion for Dagenham history
- 2 Tot with cancer enjoys 'brilliant' fun day outside home in Dagenham
- 3 London mayoral candidate 'fined' after digital campaign bus visits Dagenham
- 4 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 5 Padnall Lake, teachers in pandemic, hearing loss and Covid insurance
- 6 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 7 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 8 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 9 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 10 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital