New web picture gallery features a century of Barking and Dagenham photos
- Credit: Archant
Fascinating historical photos of Barking and Dagenham - from a 1906 shot of Barking Station to a snap of children enjoying a 1950s Dagenham fancy dress parade - have been uploaded to the web for all to enjoy.
Valence House Archives and Local Studies Centre scanned around 200 photos taken in the borough over the past 100 years and added them to picture sharing website Flickr.
The gallery features a range of categories including people, events, buildings and vehicles and even Christmas.
Clare Sexton, assistant archivist at the centre in Becontree Avenue, Dagenham said: “We wanted to get people excited about historic photos and thought this would be a great way to do it.
“We’re hoping that people will comment on the photos, especially if the pictures bring back memories for them.”
You may also want to watch:
Clare and her colleagues are planning to up-load even more photos over the coming months.
“It’s going to be an ongoing project,” she said.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking add forward Georgie Fairhead as assistant Adam Flemming departs
To see the photos either go to the Archives and Local Studies Centre page on the Barking and Dagenham Council website and click on Heritage Photo Collection or go to flickr.com/photos/barkingdagenhamarchive/sets.