Proud son pays tribute to heroic father who saved girl in gas tragedy
- Credit: Ken Luck
A Dagenham man has paid tribute to his father for his two acts of gas-related bravery in the borough 60 years ago.
In 1953 in Butler Road, Dagenham, George Arthur Luck’s neighbours, Mr and Mrs Darney, were struggling for money, so a friend showed them how to ‘bridge’ their gas metre using a bicycle inner tube in order to get some free energy.
Mr Darney was away with the Merchant Navy and Mrs Darney had gone to the pub to get change for the metre when the inner tube slipped off.
There were five children inside the house, who were all gassed.
After hearing what had happened, George ran inside the house to try and save the children and dragged all five out. They were aged one, three, five seven and nine.
Ken Luck, George’s son, believed all five of the children had died as a result of breathing in the gas.
However through Facebook he recently found out the eldest girl, Joan Borham, had survived thanks to his dad’s quick thinking and bravery.
- 1 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 2 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 3 Tributes to former Hornchurch, Dagenham, Wealdstone and Hendon forward Marvin Morgan
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 6 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 7 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 8 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 9 Dagenham hoping to get players back from injury during break
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
Six years later, in 1959, George was now working for North Thames Gas.
The gas board was installing a pipeline across Barking Creek. This was done by floating the concrete-encased pipeline across the water and then releasing it to sink to the bottom.
However, the middle section sunk quicker than the rest of the pipeline, meaing it buckled in the centre.
The gas board then looked for volunteers to go down to photograph the pipeline so the engineers could work out what had gone wrong. George was the only volunteer.
George was pulled through the pipe with a rope and the pictures he took meant the pipeline was eventually fixed, meaning gas could be reinstalled in the surrounding area.
“My dad was a real salt of the earth man,” said Ken, who grew up in Dagenham but now lives in Suffolk.
He said he is very proud of his father’s actions.
Tragically, George died at the age of 57 as a result of working for the gas board from exposure to carbon monoxide.