Steam and cider fair to celebrate Barking and Dagenham’s rich history
- Credit: Archant
Owls, steam engines, cider and a Johnny Cash tribute act are all coming to the borough to celebrate its 50th year.
The Steam and Cider Fair, on Saturday, August 22, in Old Dagenham Park, will pay homage to Barking and Dagenham’s rural and industrial heritage.
Classic cars built at Ford Dagenham will be on show alongside the steam engines that revolutionised the world.
Display team Ye Olde Redtail Falconry are bringing their birds of prey for an interactive, child-friendly perfomance featuring magestic raptors.
Wendy Aliker, who handles the birds with husband Ray, said: “We’re delighted to come to Barking and Dagenham – it’ll be a bit like a homecoming, since we started out in Essex.
You may also want to watch:
“The show will be fantastic – we have a great vulture called Archie and the kids love him.”
Steve Bullman, who is from Romford, will be co-ordinating the steam engines for his Parade of Power show, which charts the history of farming.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 6 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 7 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 8 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
He said: “I’m bringing two traction engines, two steam wagons and a steam roller.
“It’s going to be a delight for me to come back to Barking and Dagenham – it must be 30 years since I performed there.
“People often come along and don’t know what to expect, but they always have fun – everybody loves the show.”
The fair begins at 11am and concludes at 5pm.
Parking, which is £2, is available at The Leys.