TV ghost hunter to go on paranormal tour of Dagenham’s oldest house
A TV ghost hunter will host a paranormal tour on Friday night in an attempt to uncover evidence of spirits supposedly haunting the oldest house in Dagenham.
Ian Shillito, of TV show Most Haunted, will search the grounds of Valence House, which is said to be inhabited by 14th century murder victim Agnes de Valence and Victorian widow Eliza Luxmore.
Eliza, apparently a tiny elderly lady dressed in black, is said to have been sighted regularly since her death at the house in Becontree Avenue in 1913.
According to council records, Agnes de Valence died at Valence House in 1309 - though the oldest surviving parts of the building date back to the 1400s.
She was reportedly murdered on the lawns of the property and the dagger used to kill her dumped in the nearby moat in Valence Park.
You may also want to watch:
The tour takes place on Friday (May 18) between 7pm and 9pm. Participants must be 18 or above. Tickets cost �15 and must be booked in advance. For more information, call 020 8227 2034.
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 4 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 5 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 9 Humanist: 'Support bill to scrap archaic requirement for school worship'
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL