A flat fire in Barking is believed to have been caused by a faulty battery in a torch.

Around 20 firefighters and four fire engines responded to the blaze on Wednesday, June 7.

Control Officers took 7 calls about the fire, with the first coming in at 3.45pm.

READ MORE: 'County lines' gang who trafficked children sentenced

READ MORE: Pharmacy fined for fly-tipping after business details found in rubbish

Part of a first floor flat, in a block of three floors, was damaged by the fire. 

There were no reports of any injuries and the fire was under control by 4.36pm.

Crews from Barking, East Ham, Ilford and surrounding fire stations attended.

The fire is believed to have been accidental.