A bold bid - by George!
NEWHAM S George Veness made a bold bid to add the GB Tri-nations championship to his success list but lost a points verdict against outstanding Welsh youngster Zak Davies at Liverpool at the weekend. They clashed in a high-standard 54kg contest after McNe
NEWHAM'S George Veness made a bold bid to add the GB Tri-nations championship to his success list but lost a points verdict against outstanding Welsh youngster Zak Davies at Liverpool at the weekend.
They clashed in a high-standard 54kg contest after McNess, who won national boys club honours and reached the junior ABA finals, had eliminated another Welsh youngster in Chris Liddle.
The Newham BC choice showed his quality in the semi-final when he controlled the exchanges from the opening bell and left no doubt about his superiority.
The judges sent Veness into the final with a one-sided 12-0 scoreline in his favour.
You may also want to watch:
However, Davies, with an outstanding record against home and international opposition, proved a tough test in the final as he moved into an early lead, scoring with accurate first round attacks.
Veness slammed back gamely in the second session, and enjoyed his best round with just a single point between the pair at the start of the final round.
- 1 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 2 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 3 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 4 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 5 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 6 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
- 7 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 8 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 9 Barking and Dagenham, Newham named priority areas by Arts Council
- 10 Weekly Covid cases across east London revealed
Davies showed his class producing the effective attacks in the final round to take the points decision - and the Tri-nations title by an 9-5 margin.