A crossing here is the answer
IT was good to read about the installation of CCTV at the East Road subway in Chadwell Heath in last week s paper. Whether or not it will deter the muggings which have plagued the place over the past few months, is another matter. I tend to agree with the
IT was good to read about the installation of CCTV at the East Road subway in Chadwell Heath in last week's paper.
Whether or not it will deter the muggings which have plagued the place over the past few months, is another matter.
I tend to agree with the councillor who says that the camera above the entrance is not in the correct place, and will be blind to any attacks in the subway below.
But why couldn't the council instal CCTV in the subway itself, as many other councils have done?
You may also want to watch:
The proper solution to this - as has been found at the Chequers junction at Goresbrook Road, Dagenham - is to fill the whole thing in, and instal a pedestrian crossing across the A12.
What the Transport for London spokesperson meant in her comment about the ground level crossing is a mystery to me.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 7 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Barking and Dagenham goes two weeks without Covid-19 deaths
- 10 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
She said that because of the fast-moving nature of the road, there were road safety implications for people trying to cross on foot.
Well of course there would be if pedestrians tried to dodge through the cars and lorries themselves - there would be dead bodies all over the place, or you could wait for hours for a break in the traffic.
That's exactly why traffic signals are needed here - red for stop, green for go - its not rocket science, madam.