A warm Wales welcome for India's finest
THE Indian Athletics Federation will be based in Newham for six weeks this year as its track stars prepare for the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin. The group of 60 athletes are using the Newham Leisure Centre as their main base for training
THE Indian Athletics Federation will be based in Newham for six weeks this year as its track stars prepare for the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin.
The group of 60 athletes are using the Newham Leisure Centre as their main base for training as they acclimatise to the European summer.
The team originally visited Newham in 2008 as part of their preparation for the Beijing Games.
The stay was such a success that they've returned this year with a larger squad to prepare for the biggest event on the 2009 athletics calendar.
While they're here they'll be working alongside Olympic champion Tessa Sanderson and the Newham Sports Academy.
Mayor Sir Robin Wales said it's a major achievement for the borough to host a team of elite international athletes.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 5 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Cycling festival coming to Barking
- 7 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 8 40 firefighters tackle Anchor Close blaze
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
"Our proximity to the 2012 Games site means the Indian athletes can visit the Olympic park during their stay and we're hopeful they'll be able to call Newham home as they continue preparations for the upcoming games," he said.
"Newham does more than any other local authority to provide opportunities for people to get together, have fun and be active.