A warm Wales welcome for India's finest
THE Indian Athletics Federation will be based in Newham for six weeks this year as its track stars prepare for the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin. The group of 60 athletes are using the Newham Leisure Centre as their main base for training
THE Indian Athletics Federation will be based in Newham for six weeks this year as its track stars prepare for the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin.
The group of 60 athletes are using the Newham Leisure Centre as their main base for training as they acclimatise to the European summer.
The team originally visited Newham in 2008 as part of their preparation for the Beijing Games.
The stay was such a success that they've returned this year with a larger squad to prepare for the biggest event on the 2009 athletics calendar.
You may also want to watch:
While they're here they'll be working alongside Olympic champion Tessa Sanderson and the Newham Sports Academy.
Mayor Sir Robin Wales said it's a major achievement for the borough to host a team of elite international athletes.
- 1 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 2 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 6 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 7 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 8 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
"Our proximity to the 2012 Games site means the Indian athletes can visit the Olympic park during their stay and we're hopeful they'll be able to call Newham home as they continue preparations for the upcoming games," he said.
"Newham does more than any other local authority to provide opportunities for people to get together, have fun and be active.