Addict stole from Rush Green YMCA
RECOVERING drug addict stole a purse and mobile phone from a YMCA staff member during a fire drill. Roy Burwood had been working out at the Rush Green YMCA gym on November 4 when the alarm sounded. CCTV footage shows that while everyone else was evacuatin
RECOVERING drug addict stole a purse and mobile phone from a YMCA staff member during a fire drill.
Roy Burwood had been working out at the Rush Green YMCA gym on November 4 when the alarm sounded.
CCTV footage shows that while everyone else was evacuating the building Burwood walked into a staff room and took a purse containing �20 cash and a mobile phone from a desk, before heading out himself.
The 44-year-old was later arrested and charged with the theft. He pleaded guilty at Barking Magistrate's Court last week.
In mitigation, his defence lawyer said Burwood used to have a drug habit and would often steal to fund his addiction.
She added: "He was clean this time, but he says his old habits kicked in. He hadn't planned to steal the purse.
- 1 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 2 Man sublet his council property in Barking while living in West Yorkshire
- 3 Fourth man charged with murder of Dagenham man Tomasz Waga
- 4 Eastbury Manor House to reopen 'as soon as possible'
- 5 Woman treated at scene of blaze at Dagenham block of flats
- 6 Dagenham & Redbridge rally to win at Weymouth
- 7 Have your say on the proposed east London constituency boundary changes
- 8 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 9 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
- 10 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
"He walked past the room and saw a tin of biscuits and cheekily decided to take one. It was then he saw the purse and phone and took an impulsive decision.
"He has shown great remorse over his actions."
The court heard that since the theft Burwood, of Joyners Close, Dagenham, has received a conviction for drug use and is currently carrying out a community order.
He was due to be sentenced for his latest offence on Monday.