Addict stole from Rush Green YMCA
RECOVERING drug addict stole a purse and mobile phone from a YMCA staff member during a fire drill. Roy Burwood had been working out at the Rush Green YMCA gym on November 4 when the alarm sounded. CCTV footage shows that while everyone else was evacuatin
RECOVERING drug addict stole a purse and mobile phone from a YMCA staff member during a fire drill.
Roy Burwood had been working out at the Rush Green YMCA gym on November 4 when the alarm sounded.
CCTV footage shows that while everyone else was evacuating the building Burwood walked into a staff room and took a purse containing �20 cash and a mobile phone from a desk, before heading out himself.
The 44-year-old was later arrested and charged with the theft. He pleaded guilty at Barking Magistrate's Court last week.
You may also want to watch:
In mitigation, his defence lawyer said Burwood used to have a drug habit and would often steal to fund his addiction.
She added: "He was clean this time, but he says his old habits kicked in. He hadn't planned to steal the purse.
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 4 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 5 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 6 Thousands of 'illegal cigarettes' seized in Barking and Dagenham raids
- 7 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 8 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 9 Becontree business celebrates 10 years of helping parties go with a swing
- 10 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
"He walked past the room and saw a tin of biscuits and cheekily decided to take one. It was then he saw the purse and phone and took an impulsive decision.
"He has shown great remorse over his actions."
The court heard that since the theft Burwood, of Joyners Close, Dagenham, has received a conviction for drug use and is currently carrying out a community order.
He was due to be sentenced for his latest offence on Monday.