Alex departure a huge blow for cyclists
SE DIVISION ONE East London (Unidata) 74 Ipswich 103 EAST LONDON remain rooted to the bottom of the table after two more defeats against Ipswich. The club also suffered another blow, as this match was the last for Polish international Alex Zielinski, as
SE DIVISION ONE
East London (Unidata) 74 Ipswich 103
EAST LONDON remain rooted to the bottom of the table after two more defeats against Ipswich.
The club also suffered another blow, as this match was the last for Polish international Alex Zielinski, as the East London number one for the last three years is moving on and will be extremely hard to replace.
You may also want to watch:
His departure has been softened somewhat, by the return of former British finalist and Thurrock rider Neil Lester.
The encounter didn't start very well for London, when Zielinski was excluded for moving at the tapes and Ipswich raced away for a 7-2 victory.
- 1 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 3 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 4 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 5 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 6 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 7 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 8 'Always smiling' former mayoress turns 100
- 9 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge release six as they announce retained list
This was followed by an Ipswich 7-3, although Dennis Hubble won the next race with Kevin Smith pushing hard, but still feeling the effects of a recent injury.
Zielinski registered two fine wins, but the visitors kept up the pressure bringing the half time score to 52-37, a lead of 15-points for the visitors.
Ipswich continued their winning ways in the second half, with only Zielinski and Hubble winning races.
Les Stevens, Lester, Steve Harvie and George Hughes offered some resistance to a good Ipswich team riding well, who ran out winners by 29 points.
East London: Hubble 18, Zielinski 16, Stevens 11, Lester 8+1, Harvie 7, Hughes 5, Hughes 4, Smith 7.
SE Division TWO
East London (Unidata) 67 Ipswich 93
EAST LONDON'S Division Two team fared slightly better, but still lost by 26 points, even though five of the team had ridden in the first team match.
Kevin Smith and George Hughes started the run of three 5-5 drawn heats, with Steve Harvie and Neil Lester winning the next two heats, before Ipswich won three 7-3's to take a six-point lead at the halfway stage.
Even though Lester had three unbeaten races in the second half and Ben Kirk registered a victory on debut, Ipswich still won in style.
East London: Lester 14, Harvie 14, Hughes 10+1, Kirk 10, Smith 9, Hughes 6.