Amazing memory man Bob...
OUR READERS shared some of their memories this week of columnist Robert Barltrop, whose funeral has just been held… IT IS with regret that I learned Robert had passed away. Frankly, I was very shocked and surprised as I thought that as he had sta
OUR READERS shared some of their memories this week of columnist Robert Barltrop, whose funeral has just been held...
IT IS with regret that I learned Robert had passed away. Frankly, I was very shocked and surprised as I thought that as he had started to write again all was well; alas it was not so.
I shall miss his weekly reflections and the sketches that appeared with them. I am certain that many other readers will feel the same.
How he managed to recall so many things so clearly is a mystery to me.
You may also want to watch:
I would have to think if you asked what I had for lunch a day or so ago. - ERNEST E. FENN, Browning Road, Manor Park.
Robert's common sense allowed him to see across political lines and point out the pros and cons of policies and views across the spectrum. - ALAN BRIGHT, via e-mail.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 3 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
Bob's passing is sad indeed. He was a great man whom many of us admired.
His column was a fascinating glimpse into the days that we all fondly remember.
And his drawings gave the Recorder a true touch of class. Love and thoughts to his wife and family. - JULIA SIDOLI, Collier Row (formerly of East Ham and North Woolwich and Silvertown).
I shall miss Robert's beautifully crafted column. It was the one bit of today's Newham Recorder that I understood!
It reflected thoughts on a world that is no more. He was a truly clever man who had his finger on the pulse of our feelings. I don't want the Olympics either!
Farewell Bob. Perhaps the Editor will consider, after a decent period of time, reprinting some of Bob's more memorable columns that have enchanted us all these years. - NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED.