AMELIA Earhart was America s sweetheart in the 1930s. She became the first woman to fly across the Atlantic, and was known for her bold, larger-than-life charisma. Yet, even with her glo
AMELIA Earhart was America's sweetheart in the 1930s. She became the first woman to fly across the Atlantic, and was known for her bold, larger-than-life charisma.
Yet, even with her global fame solidified, her belief in flirting with danger and standing up as her own, outspoken woman never changed.
She was an inspiration to people everywhere, from First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt to the men closest to her heart - her husband, promoter and publishing magnate George P Putnam and her long time friend and lover, pilot Gene Vidal.
In the summer of 1937, Amelia set off on her most daunting mission yet - a solo flight around the world. She was never seen again.
Double Oscar-winner Hilary Swank stars in biopic AMELIA (PG), with Richard Gere as her husband and Ewan McGregor as Gene Vidal.
Director Mira Nair says: "Amelia is a love story and an action-adventure for the whole family, about a young woman who broke the boundaries and gave a lot to many different people.
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 3 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 4 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 5 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 6 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 7 Hammers stars surprise hospital patients and staff
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 'Affordable' Dagenham housing scheme completed
- 10 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
"I wanted the film to be a living, pulsating portrait of this woman who dared to dream of things that no one had ever done before. Amelia lived life as fully as possible and didn't put a lid on her emotions or her ambitions.
"She left behind a legend that I hope will continue to fuel a passion in people to accept no limits.