AMELIA Earhart was America s sweetheart in the 1930s. She became the first woman to fly across the Atlantic, and was known for her bold, larger-than-life charisma. Yet, even with her glo
AMELIA Earhart was America's sweetheart in the 1930s. She became the first woman to fly across the Atlantic, and was known for her bold, larger-than-life charisma.
Yet, even with her global fame solidified, her belief in flirting with danger and standing up as her own, outspoken woman never changed.
She was an inspiration to people everywhere, from First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt to the men closest to her heart - her husband, promoter and publishing magnate George P Putnam and her long time friend and lover, pilot Gene Vidal.
In the summer of 1937, Amelia set off on her most daunting mission yet - a solo flight around the world. She was never seen again.
You may also want to watch:
Double Oscar-winner Hilary Swank stars in biopic AMELIA (PG), with Richard Gere as her husband and Ewan McGregor as Gene Vidal.
Director Mira Nair says: "Amelia is a love story and an action-adventure for the whole family, about a young woman who broke the boundaries and gave a lot to many different people.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 10 Sam Ling inspires Dagenham to Southend victory
"I wanted the film to be a living, pulsating portrait of this woman who dared to dream of things that no one had ever done before. Amelia lived life as fully as possible and didn't put a lid on her emotions or her ambitions.
"She left behind a legend that I hope will continue to fuel a passion in people to accept no limits.