Apprenticeship beckons for top Barking and Dagenham College Takeover student
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
A bright Barking & Dagenham College student has landed a two year apprenticeship at Archant, publishers of the Post.
Jacob Ranson, 19, is now well on the way to becoming a fully qualified journalist after impressing during the college’s student takeover in May and June, and being chosen to take part in an internship over the summer.
As well as receiving on-the-job training, he will also attend Lambeth College one day a week where he will study journalism, media law and ethics.
Jacob, who lives in Rush Green, says his time at the Post so far has made him “keener than ever” to become a journalist.
“The experiences of the student takeover made me see newspapers in a very different way,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s more challenging than you think but I enjoyed every minute of it, especially working with experienced reporters.
“I’m very grateful to have got the apprenticeship and I’m excited to get started on the next chapter of my life training to be a reporter.”
- 1 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 2 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 3 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 4 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 5 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 6 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 7 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 8 Dagenham seal empathic comeback to thrash Solihull Moors
- 9 Comedian: 'Outrage at protests is why they work'
- 10 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
Editor Michael Adkins said: “Jacob was a standout member of the student takeover project when a group of nine Barking & Dagenham College students helped produce an edition of the Post during the summer.
“He has a great attitude and has been willing to tackle any assignment.
“He always delivers and works well with the news team and those he meets while working on stories, pictures and video.”