Aqeel sets sights on the Olympics
A RISING boxing star from Newham has aspirations of capturing Olympic gold in 2012. Aqeel Ahmed, a 14-year-old youngster from Beckton, has started paving his way to enter the 2012 Olympics. Aqeel attends Kingsford Secondary school and is well known for h
A RISING boxing star from Newham has aspirations of capturing Olympic gold in 2012.
Aqeel Ahmed, a 14-year-old youngster from Beckton, has started paving his way to enter the 2012 Olympics.
Aqeel attends Kingsford Secondary school and is well known for his sporting accomplishments. He trains at the local Ultrachem TKO gym in Canning Town and boxes under the banner of Fulham Brunswick ABC.
Recently, Aqeel was selected to take part in a boxing tour to San Francisco, USA, which was organised by well-known ex-boxer, Glen McRory.
You may also want to watch:
He was one of seven youngsters hand- picked from the talent in England, to go across the pond and showcase their talents.
Aqeel said: "My inspiration is to become world champion and to win gold at the 2012 Olympics, in my home city London."
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 6 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
His record boasts three fights, three wins, most recently defeating a talented boxer from the West Ham Boxing Club.
Aqeel is being coached by Tony Cesay, a former ABA national champion and England international.
Cesay is keen to ensure that every opportunity is given to Aqeel and is fully supportive of Aqeel's goal, to represent the UK at the 2012 Olympics.
Cesay is the founder of Omnibus Kids Gloves boxing project to train other up and coming stars.