Auybnn’s double has APSA smiling
ESSEX SENIOR CUP FIRST ROUND APSA 4 Clacton FC 1 AN ISAAC AUYBNN double helped London APSA to an impressive victory against Clacton in the Essex Senior League Cup on Saturday. The Newham side made the perfect start after just five minutes when Stuart Hou
ESSEX SENIOR CUP
APSA 4 Clacton FC 1
AN ISAAC AUYBNN double helped London APSA to an impressive victory against Clacton in the Essex Senior League Cup on Saturday.
The Newham side made the perfect start after just five minutes when Stuart Houghton's whipped ball into the area was missed by everyone and ended up nestling in the back of the net.
The hosts were keen to extend their lead and Houghton stung the palms of the Clacton stopper 10 minutes later.
- 1 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 2 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 3 Dagenham mum says council is 'neglecting daughters' health'
- 4 Thousands watch Barking Christmas lights switch-on
- 5 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 6 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 7 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 8 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 9 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 10 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
APSA did further their advantage, when a Gregory Akpele shot could only be cleared to the edge of the area, where Stephen McCullough fired a delicious volley into the top corner.
Ben Dixon was denied by a good save, but APSA made it three a minute before the break, when Auybnn waltzed past two defenders before slotting the ball under the advancing goalkeeper.
The hosts were just as dominant in the second period and 10 minutes into the half, Dixon again forced the goalkeeper into a good save.
The hosts made it 4-0 and effectively ended the contest in the 65th minute, when Simpson Mpalampa played an inch-perfect slide-rule pass through for Auybnn to run on to, round the keeper and slot home.
Clacton did have the final say in the game, grabbing a consolation, but it was sweet revenge for APSA following their defeat in the FA Cup earlier on in the season up in Clacton.
APSA: Smith, Bapu, McCullogh, Thelwell, Gabor, Auybnn, S Mpalampa, Mustapha, Dixon, Houghton, Akpele, Dada, Steve, Michael.
* APSA were knocked out of the FA Vase on Saturday after a 3-0 home defeat to Royston Town, and are back in Essex Senior League action with a home match against recently-relegated Witham Town this weekend.