Barking Abbey Reborn
A VISION inspired by Barking s rich and ancient traditions has won the Abbey Green Design contest. Lynch Architects proposals for an Abbey Green makeover beat off 40 other entrants to land first place in the competition. Their ideas, which drew on the hi
A VISION inspired by Barking's rich and ancient traditions has won the Abbey Green Design contest.
Lynch Architects' proposals for an Abbey Green makeover beat off 40 other entrants to land first place in the competition.
Their ideas, which drew on the history of Barking, include a small museum, an outdoor amphitheatre, a fish pond and an archway at the park's north eastern corner.
The judging panel said they were impressed with Lynch's "commitment to the project and the quality of their designs."
There will now be a public consultation with local residents, before the London based architects prepare a more detailed blue-print for the park.
Funding will then be sought in the hope that some, if not all, of these designs will be turned into reality.
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 3 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 4 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 5 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 6 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 7 Hammers stars surprise hospital patients and staff
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 'Affordable' Dagenham housing scheme completed
- 10 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
Patrick Lynch, co-director of Lynch Architects, said they were delighted to be chosen as the winners and added:
"The site is beautiful and an important part of Barking's history and of the history of England.
"We wanted to tell the story of this and to try to create a place where you can enjoy both the river setting and the historical ruins, where you could play with kids and get a cup of tea and also learn something.