How moving to Dagenham helped this aspiring pilot to pursue his dream
- Credit: Barking and Dagenham College
Four years after moving to the UK unable to speak English, a Dagenham teenager's dream of becoming a pilot is almost within reach.
Originally from Portugal, Daivam Djassi moved to France and then Spain with his mother before settling in Dagenham looking for a fresh start aged 15.
Despite not knowing the language, he signed up to study for his GCSEs at Barking and Dagenham College, as continuing his education was important to him.
Daivam’s determination and hard work over the years paid off and, after his GCSEs, he began studying engineering.
He is now in his final year at the college before he progresses to study to become a commercial pilot at university.
You may also want to watch:
The 19-year-old said: “Since moving to Dagenham I have found stability and friends.
“The college has helped with that too because the teachers have been so good to me.
- 1 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
- 2 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 3 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 4 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 5 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 6 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 7 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 8 Students work with film crews on Amazon, Apple and Netflix productions
- 9 College students lend a hand to improve recreation ground
- 10 Dagenham boss hails squad options ahead of Wrexham trip
“I’m now on my way to achieving my goal of becoming a pilot.”