Barking and Dagenham has second highest proportion of police officers living on patch
- Credit: MPS
106 police officers working in Barking and Dagenham also live in the borough – the second highest proportion in London, a report has revealed.
Only Croydon boasts most officers (146) living on patch, according to a paper by Green Assembly member Sian Berry which was released yesterday.
Across London an average of just seven per cent of officers live in the area they serve with fewer than half of Met Police Pcs – 49pc – calling the capital their home.
Ms Berry said more needed to be done to ensure officers reflected the communities they served.
“I think that the service to Londoners provided by the Metropolitan Police Service – and our community’s confidence in that service – would be improved if more borough police officers were drawn from and lived within the areas they serve,” she added.
She also urged Met commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe and the new deputy mayor for policing and crime Sophie Linden to “make more effective plans to recruit from within London” and “do more to support and incentivise officers to stay in London when their family circumstances and housing needs change”.
“Police officers need to have a real understanding of London’s diverse boroughs and communities,” she said. “We have to recruit and retain more officers who don’t just look like the people they serve but who come from and live in our communities.”
- 1 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Kittens dumped in Barking 'like rubbish' in 35C heatwave
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 Forests between Dagenham and Brentwood to benefit from mass plantations amid £40 million investment
- 6 'Affordable' Dagenham housing scheme completed
- 7 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 8 'Extremely hard': Mum donates Isla Caton's toys in act of kindness so 'her legacy lives on'
- 9 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 10 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
Scotland Yard did not immediately respond to requests for comment.