Some of the best places to get fish and chips in Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
It's National Fish and Chip Day today.
The nationwide event has been running since 2015 to celebrate an industry that is dear to many of us.
Whether it's cod and chips, battered sausage or a burger, there is always something we love on a chip shop menu.
Chippies sit at the heart of communities and those that remained open for takeaway during lockdown helped to keep us well fed with some of our most loved dishes.
To mark the biggest day in the fish and chip calendar, the Post asked readers for their favourite chippies in Barking and Dagenham.
You may also want to watch:
So if you fancy trying somewhere new or want to support another eatery in your community, check out the list below.
Presented here in no particular order are 10 of your recommendations.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 3 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 4 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 5 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 6 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 7 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 8 Consultation launched on extension of public space order, including alcohol drinking ban
- 9 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 10 Matt Robinson set to agree new deal with Dagenham & Redbridge
Elm Fish Bar
Readers praised the staff, food and service at this fish and chip shop in Church Elm Lane, Dagenham.
The Golden Fish
This family owned business was also a firm favourite. The Golden Fish was named the UK's best chip shop in 2015. One reader described its curry sauce as "lush". Head to Becontree Avenue, Dagenham to place your order.
"Definitely worth the money" is how one reader described this outlet in Wood Lane, Dagenham. There was also praise for its wraps.
The Chubby Friar
In Ripple Road, Barking, this fish and chip shop is open from 11am.
George's Fish Bar
Open seven days a week, George's Fish Bar is in Longbridge Road, Dagenham. As well as fish and chips, this takeaway's menu includes kebabs and pies.
Bodrum Fish and Chips
In Reede Road, Dagenham, one reader had this to say: "These get the gold medal every time for quality, freshness, temperature (always hot), taste, promptness, reliability and friendliness."
Faircross Fish Bar
"Faircross Fish Bar is absolutely lovely" is how one reader described this takeaway in Longbridge Road, Barking.
In Gale Street, Dagenham, this eatery has been praised online for its friendly staff, generous portions and quality.
Dagenham dominates readers' fish and chip shop recommendations. This is the seventh and can be found in Wood Lane.
Tasty Fish Bar
Head to Green Lane, Dagenham, for fish and chips, kebabs and burgers. Halal options are available too.