Barking footbridge could be named Bridgy McBridge-Face
- Credit: Street Space
A bridge could be named Bridgy McBridge-Face after £10,000 was awarded to give it a makeover.
Neighbours scooped the cash from the town hall to spruce up two footbridges off Essex Road in Barking.
Tim Hunt, of St Awdry's Road, has been working with social enterprise Street Space to spruce up the area since 2018.
He said: "The state of the bridges is disgusting. Often there’s excrement or drug waste lying around. They’re unsafe and an embarrassment to Barking.
"[They] are used by hundreds of people everyday as they are the most direct route to three schools and Barking train station.
You may also want to watch:
"They can and should be kept in a much better state and this funding will help us to do this.”
The Barking Bridge Project will form a team of locals keen to improve the bridges. There are plans to work with artists on ideas.
- 1 Barking butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 3 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 4 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 5 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 6 'The entire game will mourn him': Tributes to football great Jimmy Greaves
- 7 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 8 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
One idea is to hold a competition to name the bridges. Options include Bridgy McBridge-Face, Bridget Jones, Chaz and Dave as well as Peto and Stride after the engineers who designed the railway line.
Cast your vote here and be entered into a prize draw for £50 of shopping vouchers.
There is also an online survey for people who use the bridges.