Barking green revamp
THE LINES have been drawn and the borough divided over whether or not our historic Barking Abbey Green should be renovated. On one side the council say they want to improve the look and feel of the park to encourage more visitors and therefore preserve th
THE LINES have been drawn and the borough divided over whether or not our historic Barking Abbey Green should be renovated.
On one side the council say they want to improve the look and feel of the park to encourage more visitors and therefore preserve the green space for future generations to enjoy.
But several POST readers, including Peter Foley, who made his views known in last week's Postbag, believe there is no need to regenerate the Abbey Green.
He called the decision "sacrilegious" and accused Barking and Dagenham authority of "tarting up" the area just for the sake of change.
Trade magazine Architects Journal has teamed up with the council and Design For London, who will fund the project, to run a design competition.
Dozens of architects from across the UK have entered their visions for the Abbey Green and judges will pick the one that makes the most of the area's role as a route from Barking town centre to the River Roding.
- 1 Murder charge after man, 60, found fatally injured in Dagenham
- 2 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 5 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 6 Council tax rebates totalling £2m remain unclaimed, authority says
- 7 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 8 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 9 More than £1m funding towards work tackling health inequalities
- 10 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
Whatever your views are it is now possible to view the proposed designs for a new, more modern open space online at www.bdpost.co.uk.
The council has picked a shortlist of six - vote for your favourite one.