Barking hooks to Harry
WORLD Book Day marks the deaths of two towering pillars of literature, Shakespeare in England and Cervantes in Spain, but the date April 23 picked by Unesco to get children reading was moved to March in the UK so as not to clash with Easter holidays. Over
WORLD Book Day marks the deaths of two towering pillars of literature, Shakespeare in England and Cervantes in Spain, but the date April 23 picked by Unesco to get children reading was moved to March in the UK so as not to clash with Easter holidays.
Over the past week, Barking and Dagenham primaries have been allowing pupils to dress up as their favourite book and comic characters and handing out �1 book tokens inciting them to snap up novels from school fairs.
One of them was St Peter's School in Goresbrook Road, Dagenham, where 300 pupils temporarily impersonated literary stars such as Harry Potter.
Children from St Vincent's in Burnside Road, Dagenham, visited Newham Bookshop in Barking Road and named their ultimate villains, including Captain Hook and Harry Potter's arch nemesis, Lord Voldermort.
You may also want to watch:
Rush Green Junior in Dagenham Road ran a poster competition and Marsh Green Primary in South Close, Dagenham, on Monday hosted children's author Jack Trelawny, behind the Kernowland stories set in an imaginary Cornwall.
Marsh Green admin manager Ann Savage said: "It is a wonderful opportunity for the children to get that love of books. A whole world opens to them.
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 4 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 5 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 6 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 7 Thousands of 'illegal cigarettes' seized in Barking and Dagenham raids
- 8 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 9 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 10 Becontree business celebrates 10 years of helping parties go with a swing