Barking in line for community cinema
- Credit: DPA Germany
Film-lovers rejoice – a new community cinema is coming to the borough in the autumn.
Barking and Dagenham CVS (BDCVS) is planning to open the cinema at Ripple Community Centre, in Ripple Road, Barking, in November.
And with a planned price of £1 per ticket, Erika Jenkins, chief executive of BDCVS, hopes the service can provide affordable entertainment to everyone in the area.
“We have many low-income families and a night out at the pictures is very expensive, so this could make the experience available for more people,” she said.
“It’s about making people’s lives more pleasurable and easy.”
You may also want to watch:
BDCVS also wants residents to get in touch about volunteering and to suggest titles and times for screenings.
“This is about what the community wants, so they will decide the details,” Erika said.
- 1 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 2 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Tossed cigarette costs Dagenham man more than £600
- 6 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 7 Barking and Dagenham rallies to give friends a prom night to remember
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
“We’ll just be bringing along the popcorn.”
To contact BDCVS about which films you’d like to see screened, or to volunteer, call 0208 532 7325.