Barking Riverside pier: What's the latest?
- Credit: Barking Riverside Limited
New images of the Barking Riverside pier have been released as construction continues ahead of the service's opening later this year.
When the expansion was announced, winter 2021 was the expected opening date.
This has since been pushed back to spring 2022; the latest from Barking Riverside Limited (BRL) is that the opening date will be "announced soon".
With the new service well on its way to the people of Barking, the Post has the latest on where construction is up to.
Piling work is nearly complete on the new pier, and once finished will comprise of seven such units which form the foundation for the pontoon.
Speaking of, Ravestein BV's construction of a 63m canting brow and pontoon continues offsite in the Netherlands.
Both will be brought by boat to the site later this month via the North Sea; once installed, the canting brow will become the longest on the Thames Clipper network.
- 1 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 2 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 4 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 5 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 6 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 7 Vigil to be held this Saturday for 'pure of heart' Zara Aleena
- 8 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 9 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 10 Rainham and Dagenham MP calls for delay to ULEZ expansion
The Uber boat service - which will get people to Woolwich, Greenwich and Canary Wharf in six, 20 and 35 minutes respectively - will run at peak times during the week, and all day during the weekend.
It will also be dog and bike friendly.
BRL infrastructure director Louis Chau has previously described the transport opportunities presented by the Thames as "one of the site’s biggest assets".
Elsewhere, the new Barking Riverside Overground station is slated to open in autumn 2022 after Covid-19 delayed plans to open late last year.
Speaking as work on the pier was about to get underway, Mr Chau enthused about the possibilities offered by both transport projects.
"This [the Barking Riverside pier] running in parallel with the completion of the Overground station means Barking Riverside will be firmly on the map in the next year."