Barking town centre is awkward
BACK in the 1970 s when I was a teenager, I can remember the old Route Master buses going through Barking Town Centre, to all the destinations they still go to. I don t go into Barking very often, I prefer to shop and browse in larger shopping centres.
BACK in the 1970's when I was a teenager, I can remember the old Route Master buses going through Barking Town Centre, to all the destinations they still go to.
I don't go into Barking very often, I prefer to shop and browse in larger shopping centres.
So when I did take this rare trip on Saturday, I was surprised by the barriers fenced off what is to become tram lines/bus routes running from new estates by the river when built. It wasn't an original idea I thought!
But as a pedestrian I found it awkward to get round the area shopping on a busy day, so did people with prams, disability scooters and chairs who found it hard going through these narrow openings.
I asked the question: Why put it there, why not at existing bus routes outside and around Barking Town Centre?
Come on pull your fingers out, get these jobs finished.
- 1 NHS trust celebrates success in cutting long-term waiting list to almost zero following administrative error
- 2 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 3 Council clears illegal encampment under Ripple Road flyover
- 4 Boris Johnson will resign as Tory leader today
- 5 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 Inquest told Zara Aleena died from head and neck injuries
- 8 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 9 Serving Met officer suspended from duty after stalking charge
- 10 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
MRS M LARKIN
Tallow Close, Dagenham