Barking town centre is awkward
BACK in the 1970 s when I was a teenager, I can remember the old Route Master buses going through Barking Town Centre, to all the destinations they still go to. I don t go into Barking very often, I prefer to shop and browse in larger shopping centres.
BACK in the 1970's when I was a teenager, I can remember the old Route Master buses going through Barking Town Centre, to all the destinations they still go to.
I don't go into Barking very often, I prefer to shop and browse in larger shopping centres.
So when I did take this rare trip on Saturday, I was surprised by the barriers fenced off what is to become tram lines/bus routes running from new estates by the river when built. It wasn't an original idea I thought!
But as a pedestrian I found it awkward to get round the area shopping on a busy day, so did people with prams, disability scooters and chairs who found it hard going through these narrow openings.
I asked the question: Why put it there, why not at existing bus routes outside and around Barking Town Centre?
Come on pull your fingers out, get these jobs finished.
- 1 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 2 Parents to appear in court next month over death of baby boy
- 3 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 4 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 6 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 7 Dagenham woman first UK patient to receive bionic eye implant
- 8 Car park killing: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 9 Car park killing: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 10 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
MRS M LARKIN
Tallow Close, Dagenham