Battling with Boris over tube works
For months I have been battling with TfL and Boris Johnson in an attempt to get them to address the on-going inconvenience of weekend engineering works, and the problems when several lines are closed at the same time, as often happens in East London. I
For months I have been battling with TfL and Boris Johnson in an attempt to get them to address the on-going inconvenience of weekend engineering works, and the problems when several lines are closed at the same time, as often happens in East London.
I don't deny that the works are necessary.
After decades of neglect, recent years have seen long overdue investment to bring the underground network up to scratch.
But with better planning and co-ordination, the work could go ahead without the unacceptable levels of passenger disruption.
You may also want to watch:
Closing multiple lines closed on the same weekend effectively cuts off East End residents from the rest of the capital.
I've asked TfL and the Mayor for better, more coordinated planning of these works, I'm repeatedly told that works are meticulously planned and despite my pleas Boris Johnson will not commit to reducing the inconvenience to residents or visitors to the area.
- 1 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 2 Topping out milestone for Barking tower block development
- 3 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 4 Budding entrepreneur from Dagenham wins business pitch competition
- 5 Council warns residents after reports of rogue traders in Dagenham
- 6 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 7 Barking MP joins schoolchildren for managing money lesson
- 8 Steve Allen: 'Oxford students should vote on Magdalen pronunciation instead'
- 9 Dagenham set to announce retained list with three already departing
- 10 Barking man arrested after three men injured in Southend
TfL's latest gimmick, a Facebook page giving details of engineering works, is all well and good, but is no substitute for keeping some lines running at the weekend.
Not everyone uses Facebook (myself included) or even has access to the internet. Clearer information at stations and better coordination of engineering works would be a real benefit all passengers.
If readers keep me informed of their experiences this will add strength to the pressure I am putting on the Mayor and TfL.
John Biggs GLA Member for City and East