There With You: 145 people already supported by BD Can scheme
- Credit: PA
More than 140 people have been helped by the BD Can scheme since it launched at the start of this week.
Barking and Dagenham Council leader Cllr Darren Rodwell revealed the figure during a video update on the coronavirus crisis.
“BD Can has had a tremendous start,” he said.
“145 people have asked for support and I know that the faith and voluntary sectors, with the support of the council, have helped those residents.
“I thank everyone that is volunteering and supporting the vulnerable at this time.”
You may also want to watch:
The scheme, set up by the council in partnership with community groups and supported by the Post, sees people who may be self-isolating and in need of supplies or someone to have a phone conversation with contact a central number and directed to an organisation who can help.
Cllr Rodwell also revealed that six people from the borough have died after contracting Covid-19.
- 1 Town hall seeks powers to prevent 'unsightly' loft extensions
- 2 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 3 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 4 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 5 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 6 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 8 All borough's care home residents have had first Covid vaccination
- 9 Covid funding boost for charities promoting youth arts and inclusion
- 10 Free parking for NHS staff and key workers extended
The latest government figures show there were 53 confirmed cases of the virus in Barking and Dagenham, among 9,529 nationwide.
To get support from BD Can, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8215 3000.