Beach babies on countdown to Olympics
FUN and games kicked off the big countdown to the 2012 Olympics as the town square was turned into a beach. The massive sand pit was installed at Barking Town Square as part of the London 2012 Open Weekend last weekend (July 25 and 26) to mark the arriva
FUN and games kicked off the big countdown to the 2012 Olympics as the town square was turned into a beach.
The massive sand pit was installed at Barking Town Square as part of the London 2012 Open Weekend last weekend (July 25 and 26) to mark the arrival of the Games to London in three years' time.
The beach extravaganza offered sports activities, games and information from 11am till 5pm on both days.
Cash-strapped staycationers had the chance to enjoy sandcastle competitions, beach volleyball and seaside-style music and entertainment.
You may also want to watch:
The Gateway to the Games Information Fair offered opportunities for visitors to get informed about the Olympic Games and about opportunities to get involved in volunteer work, health and sports activities.
Arts and craft workshops, food and drink added to the holiday atmosphere and were followed by a Beach Volleyball Challenge yesterday and today (July 28 and w29).
- 1 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 2 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Barking and Dagenham girls' district suffer heavy defeat to Chelmsford
- 6 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 7 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
The beach will remain in the Town Square another week, before being moved to Mayesbrook Park where it will be used as a permanent beach volleyball court.
For more information about the countdown, contact the Olympic Ambition Team on (020) 8227 3192/3983 or visit www.lbbd.gov.uk/countdown.