Beach babies on countdown to Olympics
FUN and games kicked off the big countdown to the 2012 Olympics as the town square was turned into a beach. The massive sand pit was installed at Barking Town Square as part of the London 2012 Open Weekend last weekend (July 25 and 26) to mark the arriva
FUN and games kicked off the big countdown to the 2012 Olympics as the town square was turned into a beach.
The massive sand pit was installed at Barking Town Square as part of the London 2012 Open Weekend last weekend (July 25 and 26) to mark the arrival of the Games to London in three years' time.
The beach extravaganza offered sports activities, games and information from 11am till 5pm on both days.
Cash-strapped staycationers had the chance to enjoy sandcastle competitions, beach volleyball and seaside-style music and entertainment.
You may also want to watch:
The Gateway to the Games Information Fair offered opportunities for visitors to get informed about the Olympic Games and about opportunities to get involved in volunteer work, health and sports activities.
Arts and craft workshops, food and drink added to the holiday atmosphere and were followed by a Beach Volleyball Challenge yesterday and today (July 28 and w29).
- 1 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 3 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 6 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 7 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 10 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
The beach will remain in the Town Square another week, before being moved to Mayesbrook Park where it will be used as a permanent beach volleyball court.
For more information about the countdown, contact the Olympic Ambition Team on (020) 8227 3192/3983 or visit www.lbbd.gov.uk/countdown.